X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily inlet manifold? Possible causes? Pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oily inlet manifold? Possible causes? Pcv?

I have suspiciously oily inlet manifold and the only cause I can seee is a dodgy pcv. It's dripping oil when removed. The upper gaskets and both imt's specially the lower one, were just bathed in oil.

The valve covers were very oily as well. I checked them and I could not find a crack or leaks except for the traces of oil from the base of the pcv.

The MAP sensor was also oily. How do I clean it? Can I use isopropyl alcohol?

Old 11-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

A bad PCV valve would certainly cause an oil in the manifold problem. Are the Cam covers leaking also?
The MAF Sensor must be cleaned with an aerosol spray that is made just for MAF's anything else and you can damage the sensor. Also, do not scrub it with a brush or cloth it is very sensitive and fragile. Spray it down good and let it air dry. If it still appears dirty keep spraying and drying.
Clean up the manifold and IMT valves along with the throttle body with Throttle body cleaner again no rags or brushes on the throttle body.
Once it is cleaned up monitor it to be positive it is only the PCV valve and not excess crankcase pressure.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a new pcv and I'll install it tomorrow. The cam covers are solid with only a bit of oil in the spark plug bore and it seems the oil fell in them from the outside. I feel that I may have excess crankcase pressure though so I'll do a test but I'll order a compression testing kit anyway. Time to prepare for an overhaul...

I did wipe the throttle body with a microfibre cloth. Hopefully that did not damage the coating.

I'm referring to the manifold absolute pressure sensor at the top of the manifold close to the imt valves. I think I'll just blow on it and let the oil fly off.

The imt valves were definitely leaking the o rings were original yellow and shrunken. Just replaced with green ones.

I'm going to reuse the throttle body gasket and put a dab of ultra black where the sharp edge side had a nick on it. I ordered new throttle body gaskets along with upper manifold gaskets but I seem to have trouble with payments so maybe I'll just use them later when it's sorted.