X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open trunk on X-Type with no battery power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Open trunk on X-Type with no battery power?

I ran my X-Type battery down listening to the radio. I need to jump it, but I have no power, so the trunk won't unlock, and my jumper cables are in the trunk. (This is preposterous that they didn't think of this scenario while designing the car)

Needless to say, i can't seem to find a way to get to my jumper cables put of the trunk without battery power. Which means that anyone who carries jumper cables around in one of these cars needs to carry them in the passenger compartment?
Can anyone help?

Last edited by GGG; 11-26-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Add an "r" to "tunk" in the thread title!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think unlocking the doors unlocks the trunk as well

Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by and1carter
I think unlocking the doors unlocks the trunk as well
Yeah, but when your battery is dead, the power locks don't work.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lazer, unfortunately, unless you have a little bit of power left to operate the locks, you are somewhat SOL. Your best bet is to find someone with any sort of means to jump the batteries together so you can pop the trunk. From there you can use your jumper cables to get the car started. Granted, I would tell you to take a little bit of time and let the other car put an initial charge on your battery. That way you are not going to overload the alternator, leading to burning the diodes out in the rectifier.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Can you unlock using the key in the door?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MRomanik
Can you unlock using the key in the door?
I tried that. It unlocks the door, but not the trunk. And there is no key hole on the trunk itself.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you press the button on the trunk lid?

One of the most useful gifts I ever got was a Diehard portable power. It jump starts among other things

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
open trunk.pdf (74.5 KB, 1781 views)

Last edited by MRomanik; 01-09-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

My wife had a similar issue, I pulled-down the right-rear and center seat backs and crawled in the trunk and pulled on the release handle.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny62 (02-13-2022)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by reyesl
My wife had a similar issue, I pulled-down the right-rear and center seat backs and crawled in the trunk and pulled on the release handle.
Really!?! How did you pull the seat down? On mine the seat release is in the trunk.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MRomanik
Did you press the button on the trunk lid?

One of the most useful gifts I ever got was a Diehard portable power. It jump starts among other things
thanks! Yes I did try that first. Doesn't seem to work if there is no power. It's not a strictly mechanical button apparently.

And the Diehard portable power would be nice, but if I can't put it in the trunk, it doesn't do me much good. I don't want to have to haul my cables and battery charger in the passenger compartment.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
Really!?! How did you pull the seat down? On mine the seat release is in the trunk.
There are 2 buttons on the upper seat backs that release them to fold down. Used for Skies and other long baggage. It was not in the Owners manual, I found it accidentally looking for the Child-Seat Tie-Down.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by reyesl
There are 2 buttons on the upper seat backs that release them to fold down. Used for Skies and other long baggage. It was not in the Owners manual, I found it accidentally looking for the Child-Seat Tie-Down.
Upper backseat? Like where the seat meets the shelf under the rear window?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
I ran my X-Type battery down listening to the radio. I need to jump it, but I have no power, so the trunk won't unlock, and my jumper cables are in the trunk. (This is preposterous that they didn't think of this scenario while designing the car)

Needless to say, i can't seem to find a way to get to my jumper cables put of the trunk without battery power. Which means that anyone who carries jumper cables around in one of these cars needs to carry them in the passenger compartment?
Can anyone help?
First off I will never use jumper cables on mine to jump mine or assist someone else. So I don't have to worry about having them locked in the trunk. Since your car is obviously open why don't you use a battery charger to bring your battery up to snuff.
If you insist on jumping it then I guess you'll have to borrow some cables.
Reason I don't use jumper cables anymore on any newer vehicles with all their computers and electronic is that it's just too easy to screw something up and one small screw up can be very costly.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 AM

You will probably have to use jumper cables to charge your battery. It is safe on electronics as long as you clamp the negative cable on the recommended point shown in the Owner's Handbook under "Emergency Start Procedure" (right-hand engine mount).
Purchase extra Jumper Cables, you can never have too many. I have one in every vehicle, the garage, and the shop.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Jumper cables can fit under the passenger seat (in the future). I always have a battery charger on hand in the garage.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Info from the Owner's Handbook:

Attached Thumbnails Open trunk on X-Type with no battery power?-x-type-jump-procedure.jpg   Open trunk on X-Type with no battery power?-x-type-jump.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the problem with my XJ8 4.0 1998. I found a useful tip on the internet.
Under the bonnet there are two fuse boxes at the front end on the left hand side. There is a large black cable running from the rear straight into the smaller fuse box connected by a large nut with rubber cap. This leads by another cable to the larger fuse box with another large nut covered by a rubber cap.
I connected a jump lead from the positive of another car battery to the nut by the smaller fuse box and the negative lead connected to any part of the body at the front of the car. The positive lead gives a spark so you know there is power.
This gives enough power to use the key fob or the button inside the car to open the trunk. Do not try to jump start the car through this line. Disconnect the leads.
Then charge your battery as normal
I was really grateful for this info so I hope this might help someone else in the future

DrVertigo (08-09-2018)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Seems like it's time for me to resurrect this solution I proposed some time ago!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mergency+trunk

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please take a picture of this so I can see? I have been looking and no can find. Is yours a 2003 Jag X-Type?

Old 11-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

If you click his link

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mergency+trunk

There are pictures.

astromorg (11-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Open trunk on X-Type with no battery power?