X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passanger air bag

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passanger air bag

Hi all, i"m hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to remove the pass. side airbag and I have downloaded the English version ( England) JTIS . In the instructions it's saying to remove the RH electrical before the LH electrical, now the picture is showing their RH as the side closest the steering wheel , being as their car is a right hand drive. I have a left hand drive and am wondering if the position of the air bag is relavant to the position of the steering wheel or RH is RH and LH is LH when I'm looking at the unit? I'm driving a 2004 x-type 3.0

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Ouch, my head hurts! This is like reading a one person version of "who's on First".

I'd like to help you out, but it is confusing the way you're translating RH, LH Electrical. I've removed a number of passenger airbags in X-Types (all NA, LH drives).

If the air bag is what you're after (and why are you removing it??), first disconnect the battery and wait until the air bag capacitor discharges (follow the JTIS warnings). After that, you need to remove the passenger Wood facia. It clips on with spring clips, BUT, if you're not careful, you'll crack the clear coat on the wood. Once you remove the facia, it will be attached to the air bag by a seatbelt like harness. You'll find a long drift pin attaches the harness to the back of the facia. Use a punch to lightly tap the long drift pin out to release the facia from the air bag unit. Now you can proceed to disconnect the air bag...FOLLOWING THE JTIS CAUTIONS

Let me also say - Air Bags are nothing to mess around with and not recommended for DIYers. These can go off even when it appears you've done everything right....don't do it...you're not going to listen, are you??

Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

I have to remove it to acess the heater control box . Sorry to hear my explaination is confusing. JTIS is European version........it is saying there is 2 electrical that needs removing one on the LH side and one on the RH side. Europe JTIS says remove RH side first (which is their side closest to the steering wheel) , should I follow this pattern and remove the electrical plug closest to the steering wheel first? Which, in North American cars would be on the LH side of the air bag?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 AM

Ok I've got the job all done. I ended up removing the elect. plug closest to the steering wheel first (LH side ) then the other side. I'm not sure if this was the correct way or not, but everything went well with no issues.