X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger air bag light... I think shes trying to tell me somthing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger air bag light... I think shes trying to tell me somthing...

So at random the passanger air bag light turns off and on. Mostly its when theres a female passanger... i think my jag is jealous and dont like other girls. lol

I know theres a weight sensor under the seat somewhere so my question is.
1. What does that light mean, because there is line across the air bag like if it where saying its not activated.
2. what can i do to fix this, and keep that light off. adjust the sensor?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Basically the indicator is saying that while it detects there is something in/on your passenger seat, what/whoever lacks sufficient weight for the airbag to deploy without possibly harming what/whomever is in the seat. Meant to save babies from being blasted by airbags. There is a bladder in the seat that can act up when it's cold. DIY Solutions to keep the light from coming on and off:

1 ask the skinny chick to sit still
2 replace the skinny chick with a heftier version

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I get that with my female passengers, too. What is the weight trigger set at? Apparently 125 lbs isn't turning it off.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

if it happens with them sitting all sideways with feet up on the dash, the problem is her position. if she is sitting normally, then the sensor has a problem.

I think the threshold is under 100 pounds.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM

yup 100-125lb is the sweet spot. But I wonder if there is way to clean the sensor to make it more accurate?

Yea the ladies i ride with get tired of that light going on and off... so i have to take em to the back seat!
hahah i got jokes!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Mr. Fox
yup 100-125lb is the sweet spot. But I wonder if there is way to clean the sensor to make it more accurate?

Yea the ladies i ride with get tired of that light going on and off... so i have to take em to the back seat! Mr Fox....are you crazy?? Leave it alone you fool.....
hahah i got jokes!!!
Seems there's more than a few out there with this complaint.......does seem to be more prominent in colder weather for some reason.
Not sure of a fix and or if the weight threshold can be changed....sorry

Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

So at random the passanger air bag light turns off and on. Mostly its when theres a female passanger... i think my jag is jealous and dont like other girls. lol

1. What does that light mean, because there is line across the air bag like if it where saying its not activated.
Could the air bag light be going on when the female talks too much?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Could the air bag light be going on when the female talks too much?

lol yea i should name that light the "get this anoying blond bimbo off of my leather seat!" light

Im telling you guys my Jag is a jealous chick! and she hate females.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I get that light when I drive to work with my lunch on the passenger seat!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if this light comes on its your car giving you the thumbs up.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
Basically the indicator is saying that while it detects there is something in/on your passenger seat, what/whoever lacks sufficient weight for the airbag to deploy without possibly harming what/whomever is in the seat. Meant to save babies from being blasted by airbags. There is a bladder in the seat that can act up when it's cold. DIY Solutions to keep the light from coming on and off:

1 ask the skinny chick to sit still
2 replace the skinny chick with a heftier version

Bwahahaha.

3. get booster seat with 30 pound weight attached and belt skinny chick in.

And Fox, she only hates the skinny chick, put a 200 lb heffer in the seat and see how it reacts.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 2003 S-Type is experiencing the same issue. It does not matter how heavy the passenger is as I have had weight ranges from 135 to over 200lbs in the passenger seat when the Passenger Airbag inactive light turns on sporadically.

I have identified 2 parts that could be related:
XR837242 and XR841177

I have also attached a picture of what I believe to the be weight sensor. I believe it's XR837242. Does anyone know how these sensors are suppose to work? Is XR837242 a binary on/off switch or is it actually sending a resisted current to a controller?

My concern is that I replace the sensor but the triggering mechanism in the cushion still forces the new sensor to send the same resisted current. In that case, I would assume that the Jaguar dealer software has the ability to reprogram the controller to become less sensitive to passenger airbag deactivation. Anyone an expert on these sensor and how to troubleshoot without special Jag diag?

Attached Thumbnails Passenger air bag light... I think shes trying to tell me somthing...-img_20120401_215116.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default seat belt light

There is a cheap solution, just latch the seat belt and it shouldn't care how lite or heavy the object is you set on the seat.We do this all the time in my buddies 4x4 when we go out on the lake ice fishing just in case we need a quick exit, and NO we don't fish for ice!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I noticed it as well, seemed random at times. It would annoy my passengers at night, So I took a piece of electric tape cut perfectly round to match the shape and covered it. No more blinking or random turn on times.

The following users liked this post:
pharmhog (04-15-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Thank you for your response billbjork and fabfive, but I am trying to correctly fix this issue. I want to make certain that my airbags and other safety functions of the car work properly when needed. If you have an adult passenger and the light is on, or decides it wants to come on at/during impact you are endangering that passenger.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Too bad there is not a genuine Jaguar Factory Part for this problem: An Official Jaguar Sticker to cover the lamp with. Like FabFive (and many others), I simply cover the lamp with a small piece of electrical tape.

I also get a "Code" for the system in the dashlight warnings. The little yellow seatbelt lamp blinks a 1 and 5 over and over for a while on startup, before it stays on constant - most all the time. I have read that this is likely do to a bad ground to the system with one or both of the seats, but I have yet to attempt to remedy this.

Mine will also switch sides: sometimes the solid light is on the driver's side, sometimes the passenger's side. I have also read that a Dealership can re-flash the related ECM in some instances to effect a "repair".

The ambient temperature seems to make a big difference in the problem, too. The colder it is, the more likely the passenger light will stay on, sometimes with an empty seat.

The electrical tape seems to fix the problem fine. If I were in a collison sufficient to deploy all the airbags, that would mean I had probably 'totalled out' the Jag.

If such were the case, I just wouldn't want to live anymore in any event.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesnt it just turn off when you put on your seatbelt? I thought the light came on when there was a child or small passenger with no seat belt. Or did i just make that up?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM

The seat belt does not have any effect with regards to the passenger side occupant detection. The car still uses the sensor in the seat to determine if an adult is present or not. I'm just trying to figure out how this sensor is working and being evaluated by the SRS control module. i.e. binary or resistive.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yup, air bags are controlled by the inertia switch,some are by the radiator.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a similar problem in my 00 S Type. The light on the instrument cluster would come on for a while the it would be out for a while(days). I then noticed a pattern to it. the light would blink 3 times then six times. Code indicated an open wire to the sensor. I checked under the seat and sure enough one of the two wires in the wire harness for the air bag sensor was broken. I have memory seats so when I drive the seat is much farther back than when my wife drives. I think it got stretched a little when she gets in. I ended up having to solder in an extra length of wire to prevent it from breaking again.

If its a bad ground the weather could definately have an impact on it. the bolts holding the seat in place may be corroded or a ground terminal at the other end of the wire harness might be dirty. A little investigation could save a trip to the shop.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Passenger air bag light... I think shes trying to tell me somthing...