X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Airbag light says its off when seat occupied!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger Airbag light says its off when seat occupied!!!

I realized that even when I have a passenger in my Seat the airbag does not activate, you really have to put a lot of pressure on it for it to activate! This is potentially life threatening lol I'm going to take it in to the dealer as I believe the SRS system is covered for like 10-12 years right? Anyways anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

If I have someone light in the passenger seat I sometimes ask them to jiggle in place to get the light turned off. Probably the switch is dirty and needs cleaned. Not enough annoyance to be worth the labor to fix it and sometimes I get a real interesting jiggle.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mugatu, like was mentioned, if the person is light in weight, they may not activate the switch. But if they are over 100 pounds (45 KG), then the switch should be activated and it may be possible that you simply have a bad switch and it needs replaced. The switch activates as I recall by simply being placed between two of the seat springs and as weight is applied to the seat, the springs are pulled apart and makes up the switch.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugatu
I realized that even when I have a passenger in my Seat the airbag does not activate, you really have to put a lot of pressure on it for it to activate! This is potentially life threatening lol I'm going to take it in to the dealer as I believe the SRS system is covered for like 10-12 years right? Anyways anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance!!!
Aside from which forum you selected, there is nothing in your 'garage', sig, nor the body of the post as to which year, etc Jaguar, so this may be entirely irrelevant to yours, but..

X350 & sputniks ALSO (try to) measure the occupant's height with their ultrasonic sensors and turn that airbag OFF if a child-sized person is detected. Plan is to reduce risk that an explosively-deploying airbag's impact could do more injury than it prevented.

As said - may not apply to your Jaguar atall...

Last edited by Thermite; 08-24-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, women like to sit in weird positions for some reason. If you have a woman in your front seat who is light enough and likes to sit in a weird way, the light will go on and off. I've noticed this happens quite often lol

Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

The airbag light in the dash cluster (driver's side airbag light) is probably blinking. This is a 2-digit code, and will give you a clue to the problem.

With my 2002 X-Type, the code (I forget the the number of blinks off-hand) referred to a faulty ground on the passenger seat. I have yet to wring it out, hunt it down and repair it, and instead rely on the "fix" my wife effected to the bright yellow passenger air-bag warning light: a piece of black electrical tape over the top of it.

Check for the blinks, count them, and come back with the numbers. We'll be able to help you then.

As far as warranty on the Safety Restraint System, I do seem to remember there was a recall to re-flash the SRS computer, but while researching my problem initially, I was left thinking I was on my own.

Possibly, if you mention to the dealer that THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE read and belong to this forum and you are going to mention their dealership by name, you might get a freebie on your SRS repair out of them. I think the dealers HATE the X-Type, but there should be some kind of biblical equivalent, along the lines of "What ye shall do to the owner of the old X-Type, ye do unto the prospective 2014 XJ owner, too".

Best 'o luck!

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 08-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.