X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side mirror nearly came off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passenger side mirror nearly came off!

One of the built-in issues with my used 2005 X-Type was a loose passenger side mirror. When first washing it, the housing was completely loose.

Today the mirror portion nearly came off, and I proceeded to fix it. I believe that mine was replaced at some point in time with that of a non-heated variety. Two wires were dangling, which I believe to be power and ground for a mirror with heating option.

Anyways, I figured out that the mirror itself slides off of molded tabs. You have to gently press it inwards towards the door as far as it will go to see it. Slide the mirror away from the door, and the assembly should easily be removed.

Once removed, I found that all of the screws holding the plastic housing to the metal fixture was missing, thus the looseness. I inserted 3 #10 self-tapping Philips screws (3/4" long) into the the plastic tabs and tightened them into the metal fixture, only 3 were accessible.

For the mirror assembly, which seemed to be held in place by two sticky-pads, I cleaned the plastic sub-assembly, placed the mirror on the sub-assembly, flipped it upside down, and filled all of the opening with hot glue. Reattached the mirror and sub-assembly to the housing, and I'm set to test tomorrow.

I completely assume that I'll have to re-build it using two-part epoxy in place of the hot glue, but I hadn't had any on hand. Will let you all know how it goes on the highway.

Still can't believe that all of the screws holding the mirror housing to the metal fixture (bracket) were missing. Makes me wonder...