X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcv

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Pcv

Before I asked the question I want to let you all know I did a 15 minute search on Google for the answer, one of the sites was to this forum and I couldn't find the answer. My question is where is the PCV valve located on this engine? Or does it even have one?

Google ain't so great.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The work involved is to take off the 3 screws and the oil filler cap which holds the plastic cover over the engine. Then remove the old hose by hand, reinstall the new hose with the 2 crimp style clamps. This hose is about 10 inches long and 1 inch in diameter going from the exhaust manifold to the engine, entering the engine right next to the rightmost screw anchor holding the plastic cover. Replace plastic cover and you are done (about 10 minutes). I recommend this as good preventive maintenance for anyone who still has the old smooth PVC hose.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, if you find the breather hose that sidewalkman talks about, the 90 degree elbow that the hose makes to go into the valve cover, that is the PCV valve. If I remember right, it is simply a press in piece. Get the end of the hose off and then a little tug and off it should come. Press the new one into place and reattach the hose. You will have to pull the cover off of the engine, but that is simple to do.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its actually a twist lock PCV and about 10 times more expensive than any other PCV I've ever heard of. "British parts place" on eaby sells the updated ribbed hose and PCV for about $30 shipped.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Just 2 cents, I always try Yahoo then Google lol

Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Smile Pcv

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
The work involved is to take off the 3 screws and the oil filler cap which holds the plastic cover over the engine. Then remove the old hose by hand, reinstall the new hose with the 2 crimp style clamps. This hose is about 10 inches long and 1 inch in diameter going from the exhaust manifold to the engine, entering the engine right next to the rightmost screw anchor holding the plastic cover. Replace plastic cover and you are done (about 10 minutes). I recommend this as good preventive maintenance for anyone who still has the old smooth PVC hose.
I believe I found it, there is a hose just right of the engine cover. In the hose is a plastic device, which I assume is the PCV. Because of my back problems I can stand too long, and getting the engine cover off is easy, but putting it back on is a pain, as you have to get a rubber seal around the oil filler around the plastic engine cover. I had trouble with this part last summer. I am not clear about one thing, they sell the valve and the hose separate. $18 for the PCV and $13 for the hose. However what i read here it is one piece pressed together or did I miss something?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Smile Yahoo

Originally Posted by cadillac
I never have any luck with Yahoo, so I don't use it.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Smile Who is the Girl

Originally Posted by cadillac
\Not trying to be a wise guy but the blond on your posts? She is smoking hot!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
\Not trying to be a wise guy but the blond on your posts? She is smoking hot!
I think that is Cherlize Theron. Adam that hose and PCV are 2 pieces, you press the PCV into the hose then into the valve cover.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

no put the pcv in first or youll not be able to twist the valve in to lock it in the cam cover, it makes it easier if you bend the bracket up for access then bend it back down. then put the hose on

Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Smile PCV valve

My son and I tried to replace the PCV, Sunday. No problem until we tried to get the valve out of the cam cover. Looking at the new PCV it looks like a twist fit as there is a groove on the bottom part of the valve. But we could not budge the old valve off.We tried turning it both ways and it wouldn't move, even tried pulling it out as most PCV work. Google, Yahoo, fix it and .com's had no answer on how to remove the valve.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM

its a 1/4 turn counter clockwise, grab it over the top with a pair of pliers and twist

The following users liked this post:
Adam Lueb (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Smile Pcv

Originally Posted by Brutal
its a 1/4 turn counter clockwise, grab it over the top with a pair of pliers and twist
Thank you very much. Just for the heck of it I called my Jaguar dealer and they wanted $86 plus part to install and if the cam cover had to be removed 185 plus part. Why would the cam cover need to be removed?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by adam lueb
thank you very much. Just for the heck of it i called my jaguar dealer and they wanted $86 plus part to install and if the cam cover had to be removed 185 plus part. Why would the cam cover need to be removed?
it doesnt and you have to be carefull about just calling up a dealer or really any shop and asking about work. We get so many questions like this all day its a joke. Either from owners shopping around or from shops trying to gauge what they should charge. Since i wear a bluetooth phone and answer my phone all day my advisor calls me throughout the day to ask questions like this. I finally told her to stop fielding calls like this unless people come in cause its a waste time, she stops working to answer these kinds of callsand research them and then iIm left wondering why she hasnt called my estimates for customers in the shop by the end of the day. If people want a accurate quote come in. Why would i spend time to give someone info that in most instances does not = $ in my pocket and cost me money. This site excluded
especially when i know its a shop that wants to know how to fix a jag or what should be charged. People dont want to pay higher prices for experianced techs, but have no problem giving less money to someone thats clueless about thier car. This is true of any car, i tell people all the time to take their car to the most experianced people, those that work on thier car all day, it can save time and money. Im not talking simple things like brakes, pcv valves etc...i just got a car from a owner that had twensioner done at at another shop, yes they saved money up front, but then i had to redo their work cause they got the chain slack on the wrong side of the tensioner and it ran rough. So what did they save? Nothing they spent more money in the long run and are now argueing with the other shop about trying to reimburse them for our labor or refund part of their money etc....
Yes a pcv valve is only about a .3 job and that to get the car, pull the part, put it on, do the paperwork and put in the wash. Yes it takes more time to do everything else but the repair. But then if you only get the time for a repair and then you end up. You work 9 hrs a day to make 4 or 5 like i am right now. Something alse you called and probobly talked to an advisor, they dont fix cars, they know just enough useally to get them in trouble

xjrguy (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Amen! Brutal!

I'll help people who APPRECIATE assistance here, JCNA and elsewhere, anytime I can. But I get tired of being the tech support for other shops or folks who shouldn't be working on a car, even if it is their own; because usually their main motivation is "Just don't go to the dealer".

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,

Brutal (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Xjrguy thats why i work for "thankyou's" here and why i get pissed when people call a dealer a *******. I told more than a few people here i wouldnt help them because of attitudes expressed like this, and i know the answer they wanted

Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Smile Pcv

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Amen! Brutal!

I'll help people who APPRECIATE assistance here, JCNA and elsewhere, anytime I can. But I get tired of being the tech support for other shops or folks who shouldn't be working on a car, even if it is their own; because usually their main motivation is "Just don't go to the dealer".

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
I love people who make a mountain out of a molehill. IMHO I believe a person who has a problem with there car and they know what the problem is should shop around. I have no problem going to my dealer but I think it is only fair to find out about the cost of a procedure, It's a fair and honest question. If you get annoyed by this, too bad, as this is the American Way.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Adam go reread his post, he said "APPRECIATE" it and will help as do I, say I work for someone that calls the very place i work for a ******* pisses me off. I can think of much bigger industries and companies that make way larger profits than a car dealer. I was just looking at our budget. we pay $50k a month for floor plan in interest charges, and $240k for building lease, thats alot to cover right there and not talking payroll, taxes, insurance, benefits, lights, trash pickup etc.. etc...... I think many people that complain on costs have no Idea how much it takes to keep a company in business.
Now I shop at Walmart cause I know what I buy on a regular basis and I know what cost what and theyre the cheapest on ost items. But I do multishop at other stores, escially for meat cause I pay more for better quality and cuts. But 1 thing I used to buy for lunch on a regular basis(steamables) was $1.48, now its marked "everyday low price"
$2.25!!! excuss me a .75 increase in a month!!!! guess what I no longer buy...
It wasnt that he or I won't help, but why help someone that thinks dealers are *******s(im not reffering to you) or people that are unappreciative??? My message on that post to you is be cautious on just calling because as I said It takes me/my advisor, and parts person time and money to answer those kinds of questions. We have paying customers we many times dont have enough time in the day to get too. And let my ask you a question cause I know you seek lots of info here. Would you have taken your car in to the dealer(that youve said is too far and hard to get too cause of your health issues) that you called??? because you can ask the same question here and I gave you the answer. You where wasting that persons time for info and I suspect that they just gave you a blow off answer cause ....why... you wrent going to drive in for that and they probobly new it, or thought you were a shop and trying to get you to overcharge your customer by giving you inaccurate info....

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

No, Adam, YOU missed the point.

I'm all for shopping around, comparing and deciding what's the best option at any given time. There is more to cost than just dollars, but......

I am here, others are here, and I want YOU to be here to lurk, look, listen, learn and share.

I seriously doubt you go to the Doctor to sit and complain how slow, overpriced and crooked he is.

Keep it to yourself. That's all I'm asking. I'm not here to be badmouthed.

Cheers,

Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Yes I did miss the point and I am sorry about that. Honestly I am finding out retirement is not what I expected it be money wise. And that I had to give my xwife half of my pension when she left me, 5 years ago, and I was disabled couldn't work, lost 400k in the market, now I have cancer. But these are my troubles. Thanks for clearing my mind.

Quick Reply: Pcv