X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture request for a noobie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture request for a noobie?

Hey so, I have been shopping around for cars for a little while now and I have pretty much made up my mind on the Jaguar X-type. My other choices were BMW 1 series, BMW 3 series, or a big truck Nissan Titan .

My mother has an 04 X-type 3.0 and she bought it brand new, now currently has 30k miles on it, and I absolutely love the feel of it. It rides good, turns heads, has some pep handles amazing (its in FL now but when she lived in New England It was great in the snow).

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is I really enjoy working cars when it comes to appearance. When I was cruising the forum what almost finalized my decision on getting the jag is Exexpats Jag. BECAUSE it has a real euro look to it. I'm not trying to Bite on style or anything but, I cannot find anymore similar to his. Is it a one of a kind thing or is this done often in the jag lifestyle? I know its a big thing with WVs, BMWs, and such. But if some one can fill a newbie in that would be great thank you.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by WhereTheJag_at
Hey so, I have been shopping around for cars for a little while now and I have pretty much made up my mind on the Jaguar X-type. My other choices were BMW 1 series, BMW 3 series, or a big truck Nissan Titan .

My mother has an 04 X-type 3.0 and she bought it brand new, now currently has 30k miles on it, and I absolutely love the feel of it. It rides good, turns heads, has some pep handles amazing (its in FL now but when she lived in New England It was great in the snow).

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is I really enjoy working cars when it comes to appearance. When I was cruising the forum what almost finalized my decision on getting the jag is Exexpats Jag. BECAUSE it has a real euro look to it. I'm not trying to Bite on style or anything but, I cannot find anymore similar to his. Is it a one of a kind thing or is this done often in the jag lifestyle? I know its a big thing with WVs, BMWs, and such. But if some one can fill a newbie in that would be great thank you.
Exexpats' Jag is definately one of a kind, he has put a lot of time and cash into making it one of a kind. His mods include wheels and tire, a carbon fiber interior, it is sitting on airbags, custom PC touch screen head unit (definately the only one I've ever seen), custom exterior including chin, grill, newer side gill thing off XJ.

You can do the same thing or similar. Almost everyone here has done some sort of mod but his is likely the most modifies and he made a lot of the stuff himself and did the work himself so......

Last edited by sidewalkman; 03-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Oh is that right, see with Volkswagen they all have a certain look to them, when modded. I love the look BUT I also think it looks cheap because its a VW. Then BMW again all have a certain way to them when there modded, also attractive.
I almost think Jaguars haven't developed a trend yet because, not much people like modding them haha. Who knows.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A tastefully modded Jaguar always makes a bigger impression than a BMW or Mercedes in my opinion, due to them being more rare and continuing a classic look combined with modern amenities.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by j_bond
A tastefully modded Jaguar always makes a bigger impression than a BMW or Mercedes in my opinion, due to them being more rare and continuing a classic look combined with modern amenities.
Yes, and one with an exhaust? I dont like to show off but when the 89' civics mess with me. its ok

Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice thing is these cars are cheap like VWs and even use the same AWD components. You can easily build a nice one for 10 grand and people will think you paid a mint for it (except employees of Jaguar dealers). Your mom's car should be ok from a reliability standpoint being a 2004. One thing to not expect is that the car will be fast. They are decent, but decidely skewed toward form over function.

PS: Feel free to bite on my style. My whole motivation for buying this car was because I get sick of seeing people follow the BMW/VW... scenes like lemmings and not do anything creative. I actually think the newer Korean cars are hot and may do a stanced Hyundai or Kia after the Jaguar. Who knows. Originality trumps brand for me though.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM

It sounds crazy but I want my jag wheels to poke. What are your feelings on that? Or is there any precautions I would need to take to do so?

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

poke? What's poke?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM

I've never done it before but, its when your wheels poke out from the fender usually with a deep dish rim.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

It sounds crazy but I want my jag wheels to poke. What are your feelings on that? Or is there any precautions I would need to take to do so?
Nobody on here is dumb enough to want that... well, except for one person with 18x10s in back.

More here: I think my stanced snow tire set up sucks, but here are better pics - StanceWorks

Stanceworks actually talked me out of poking the rears and I put on narrower spacers to suck them in further.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Haha that's great! And are you serious about that kia huyndia business because that would be disappointing

Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 PM

Yes, and one with an exhaust? I dont like to show off but when the 89' civics mess with me. its ok
Borla exhaust on an X-Type sounds nice, not raspy. But it won't add much horsepower. Inherent weakness in the AJV6 drivetrain also makes a poor situation for adding gross amounts of power.
Hate to disappoint you, but a 1999 Civic Si runs a 15.7 quarter mile.... and a 2002-2007 X-type Auto runs 15.7 as well. (Road and Track magazine) I've seen manual transmission X-types run 15.2, and there is a legendary X-type that was gutted and race prepped that ran 13.8..... LOL ok, ok, it was ME! (my 2002 X-Type)

But seriously, with no rear interior and a 6lb racing battery, it's not realistic as an everyday driver....

Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM

And that's why my current 2006 X-Type is just tastefully modified to impress my 22year old wife

Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Borla exhaust on an X-Type sounds nice, not raspy. But it won't add much horsepower. Inherent weakness in the AJV6 drivetrain also makes a poor situation for adding gross amounts of power.
Hate to disappoint you, but a 1999 Civic Si runs a 15.7 quarter mile.... and a 2002-2007 X-type Auto runs 15.7 as well. (Road and Track magazine) I've seen manual transmission X-types run 15.2, and there is a legendary X-type that was gutted and race prepped that ran 13.8..... LOL ok, ok, it was ME! (my 2002 X-Type)

But seriously, with no rear interior and a 6lb racing battery, it's not realistic as an everyday driver....
yeah but you would be lucky to find a 99 civic si around where i live... There all beaters with 200k and fart can exhausts.

But thats not why im building this car, I have lots of plans for mine and stripping it some was part of my plans. I'm not going to completely ruin it I need my car to still look professinal (sales meetings haha)

I've been looking at the borlas, mina, but I was also thinking about bringing it to still really well known exhaust place and having him remove the resonators?

Is there a blog section on this forum cause i would like to have one throught out my build.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM

There is only one resonator after the cats. Removed mine for a weight reduction. LOL
you won't see any gains from removing the resonator as it is a straight-through design anyways, it just has sound damping material lined inside of it. I did an entire exhaust delete and rebuilt my own on my 2002, but it is VERY timely and difficult, PLUS, I had access to ECU modifications using a programmer for the Mazda6, but that company no longer exists. My valve-body upgrade to the tranny and torque converter upgrade ended up just blowing up the tranny. The X-type is not made for what you are thinking.

I'm telling you, honestly, there are no gains to made in horsepower on the X-Type now. NONE.
short ram intakes for them are less efficient that the stock airbox, the exhaust systems are merely 'axle-back' exhausts, so they just change the sound and diminutive amounts of back-pressure.
I'm thinking perhaps you should purchase a BMW 3-series if you are looking to add lots of mods.
Everything for the Jaguar will be subtle at best.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM

There is only one resonator after the cats. Removed mine for a weight reduction. LOL
you won't see any gains from removing the resonator as it is a straight-through design anyways, it just has sound damping material lined inside of it. I did an entire exhaust delete and rebuilt my own on my 2002, but it is VERY timely and difficult, PLUS, I had access to ECU modifications using a programmer for the Mazda6, but that company no longer exists. My valve-body upgrade to the tranny and torque converter upgrade ended up just blowing up the tranny. The X-type is not made for what you are thinking.

I'm telling you, honestly, there are no gains to made in horsepower on the X-Type now. NONE.
short ram intakes for them are less efficient that the stock airbox, the exhaust systems are merely 'axle-back' exhausts, so they just change the sound and diminutive amounts of back-pressure.
I'm thinking perhaps you should purchase a BMW 3-series if you are looking to add lots of mods.
Everything for the Jaguar will be subtle at best.
Ya I understand, I'm not looking to race. I'm just trying to make a good car better I guess.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Ya I understand, I'm not looking to race. I'm just trying to make a good car better I guess.

If that's the case, save your $600 and just buy some classy quad tips for the stock mufflers, instead of an axle-back exhaust. or add a OEM sport bodykit,
get clean-looking silver or machined set of 18 or 19" wheels, do a full exterior and interior detail from a recognized shop or undertake the project yourself. I suggest using Zaino products. They are the BEST.

most importantly, please do us all a favor and avoid chrome wheels, it's just not right.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM

If that's the case, save your $600 and just buy some classy quad tips for the stock mufflers, instead of an axle-back exhaust. or add a OEM sport bodykit,
get clean-looking silver or machined set of 18 or 19" wheels, do a full exterior and interior detail from a recognized shop or undertake the project yourself. I suggest using Zaino products. They are the BEST.

most importantly, please do us all a favor and avoid chrome wheels, it's just not right.
Ok , here is my intentions.

haha I'm deleting all chrome, all the trim. I'm going to make it the base color, or black w/ vinyl
-Getting rid of all amber, probably with clear lens+leds.
- LED license plate lights
- HIDs 6ks
- HID fogs
- LED interior lights
- 35% tint
- New black grill
- Drop it, depending how low maybe a lip no body kit.
- get a right stance w/ poke
- make it have an nice sound
- and yes of course have my friends at 360 motorspots detail it, they do the celtic players cars.

Do not worry I will not bring shame to jaguars lol no chrome no wings.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Oh ya and I have a year membership to a car wash so I go everyday

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Ok , here is my intentions.

haha I'm deleting all chrome, all the trim. I'm going to make it the base color, or black w/ vinyl
-Getting rid of all amber, probably with clear lens+leds.
- LED license plate lights
- HIDs 6ks
- HID fogs
- LED interior lights
- 35% tint
- New black grill
- Drop it, depending how low maybe a lip no body kit.
- get a right stance w/ poke
- make it have an nice sound
- and yes of course have my friends at 360 motorspots detail it, they do the celtic players cars.

Do not worry I will not bring shame to jaguars lol no chrome no wings.
Sounds like a good start, although, adding just a front lip looks WEIRD in my opinion. it makes for an uneven, and horribly 'unfinished' look. It looks like the driver ran out of money to do the whole car...

I also would suggest you not to lower the car without a nice set of 18" or bigger wheels, or it will look strange.

the 'poking' thing is a short-term trend, not my cup of tea. But I'm also in my 30's. I do like an aggressive stance in the rear that is flush with the fenders.
but poking looks, again, like someone bought the wrong offset of wheels for their car and had to keep them....

A large group of people were laughing & pointing at an Audi that had that setup the other day as it drove by. I'm not sure I'd want people laughing at my expensive Euro...

Quick Reply: Picture request for a noobie?