X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW!

Sorry its urgent and its getting dark and I need my car for tomorrow.

Basically my car was fine today, I was driving it and everything is good. I need to change my headlights because one of them was out. I went out and bought me some standard H1 Headlights.

I took out the battery cause i needed the space to change the lights, I replaced both headlights put the covers back on and put the battery back on. Tried to start my car and nothing, it won't start up. Has anybody had this problem before? Please respond if you can so I can fix this before it gets to dark. Thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW!

Did you put the battery in wrong? neg on the pos, and vice versa. If you have absolutely no power, then that's your culprit. Probably blew the battery fuse.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM

nope I put the battery back on the right way and I get power on dashboard and I can cut new headlights on and everything electronically works fine.... I checked some fuses and replaced some even tho they were fine etc... and nothing.... Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Chances are, the battery needs to be charged. Does it click when you're trying to turn it over?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM

yeah it clicks, and battery is about 2 weeks old and I also replaced a started 2 weeks ago. Alternator seems to be fine cause I have been driving the car and everything was working fine, until i changed the headlights.... WHich makes no sense to me.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

how long was the battery disconnected? I would disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so and reconnect it. Maybe something needs to reset. It's can't hurt at this point.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: jvegas

how long was the battery disconnected? I would disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so and reconnect it. Maybe something needs to reset. It's can't hurt at this point.
the battery was disconnected for about 20min while i was changing the headlights, but I guess I can go disconnect it now and leave it like that for about 10min. and try again.

I did run out of gas few days ago and my car was sitting there and I put some gas in and it started. You guys think I might have to bleed out some fuel? If so any diagrams or step by step instructions?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you jump start the car with booster cables? If so, the problem isalmost certainlyyour new battery. If not, this might help: http://www.ifitjams.com/starting.htm

Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MattSteele

Can you jump start the car with booster cables? If so, the problem isalmost certainlyyour new battery. If not, this might help: http://www.ifitjams.com/starting.htm
I tried booster cables and nothing, the car keeps clicking or w/e every time I try to start. I have full electricity running with dash board lights to exterior headlights.

I think it may have been when I ran out of fuel that it got some air and fuel has some air bubbles and I need to BLEED THE FUEL out to get rid of the air bubbles but I can find the fuel hose to do so.... I'm running out of ideas, its dark and I need my car for work and school tomorrow and I'm so freaking pissed off right now.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

If all else works electrically then my guess is that the posts and terminals are dirty. Not enough current getting through... Get some sand paper and clean both the post and the cables so they are bright silver, clean lead. Reconnect and start right up...

KISS
Good Luck.

It's not the fuel!

Tom

Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: panels

If all else works electrically then my guess is that the posts and terminals are dirty. Not enough current getting through... Get some sand paper and clean both the post and the cables so they are bright silver, clean lead. Reconnect and start right up...

KISS
Good Luck.

It's not the fuel!

Tom
okay, positive one is silver but the negative one is kinda goldish so I'm gonna sand that one and see what happens, this is crazy its pitch black outside ahhahahaha man I'm pissed and thank you guys for your suggestions cause I'm hitting a dead end and overthinking crap.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM

CLEAN THEM BOTH. ALL FOUR, TWO POSTS, TWO CABLES...

Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Do this, just to confirm it's the battery...

Turn on your wipers, do they wipe really slow?
Is your power seat slower than normal?

Also, when you're trying to jump the car, turn off all power accessories, headlights, anything that draws current that you can do without.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

ITS FIXED! thank you panels for your thought cause it counted big time. I love this community and I love all you guys pitching in your suggestions when I was hitting a dead end, I started over thinking when it was something simple. The negative terminal was dirty by oxy so I got some sand paper and some baking soda + water did the job very well. After cleaning it went in the car and simply cut it on like it was nothing.

Thank you guys so much, its pitch black over here and it was a mother f'er to see anything. Not to mention its cold as hell and there I was sanding that crap and cussing everything out. haahahhah Thank you fellaz so much, I can finally put my mind at ease and will be able to drive myself to work and college tommorow.

thanks again guys!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 PM

No Problem. Glad you got it taken care of.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Smear some vaseline on the battery terminals ..it will help keep the corrosion down to minimum

Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

Glad to have helped. Common problem for us northerners. A-lot of weird stuff happens when it gets this cold.

I have always used grease on the terminals...

Tom

Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this post is a great example of how ggreat this forum is

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  6.0 KB

So true Chrisx

Great bunch of guys all chipping in to get a guy back up n running again especially as it all turnedout to be very simple.
Nice one

Jim

Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got you car running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLZ HELP RIGHT NOW!