X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Buyer Looking for Some Advice Pls

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer Looking for Some Advice Pls

Hi, I'm Mike living in south wales - time to replace the current car, and need something more economical and comfier, so looking at an X-Type as not a fan of the german alternatives.

Thinking of the 2.0 or 2.2 diesel - a manual, and pref the model with the full leather and all the toys fitted ( SE ??? )

Have seen a few around my price range ( up to £7K ish, so something a few years old ) in the area, but only thing putting me off is the mileage - some are ok on 60K, but a couple are around 80K or a bit more - is this something to worry about as long as it has the FSH, and are there any things I should be looking out for ???

Any advice from owners with similar cars would be welcome

Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mike, if you are getting a 2wd car (as they also come in AWD versions), then you are set. Most diesels are just getting broken in at 80K miles. You have tons of life left in that motor.

If you go with an AWD version of the car, then you need to take a good look at the transfer case. it is the weak link of these cars and can lead to an expensive fix (2000 euro roughly, possibly a little more, or $3000 USD).

But, as long as the check engine light is off and when you drive it down the road it isn't making any noises or vibrating, then all the normal issues are not present. These cars are prone to driveline vibration leading to a vibrating floor (new carrier bearing for the rear driveshaft is required to fix this) or the rear end will make some banging noises. This is normally caused by worn out bushings (unfortunately, the only fix for this is getting new pieces). Other than that, you should be golden.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Thermo - was planning on the 2WD drive one, old car was 4WD and eats tyres, and at £250 a corner, gets a little expensive lol

Will be looking to buy from a dealer anyway, so will get a 3 month warranty on it, so any nasties that do arise can be sorted, but a few of the cars I have looked at online locallly all seem to be 1 owner, full service history, so guessing they have been pretty well looked after as the cars are normally owned by more mature drivers who dont run them on a budget.

Just need to shop around now and find one I like the colour of