X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner with Questions

Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Potential New Owner with Questions

Fist off, your not just buying a car, your buying an experience! Now, repairs compared to a toyota are definitely different. Your buying luxury so your gonna pay for luxury. Parts? Most common parts can be found at a local parts store. But your gonna need the dealer for lots of unique parts and they arent cheap!! This vehicle has its own unique quirks, some you can live with, and others you'll love. But then there are some that your just not gonna like no matter what.

Hope this helps a little...

Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there Toyozuki,
I've owned my 2002 X-type sport since September. I bought the car for around $15,000 and had 50000 miles on her. She's fully loaded except heated seats and navigation. Otherwise I have everything else including the 3.0 and automatic. I don't know what the details are on the car you are speaking of but to me that is too much to pay. Before I bought mine there was a 2004 with 40,000 miles for 16,000miles at a dealer near me. These cars come stock with leather, power everything, awd and abs. To me the car only has a few options you could add. You find some with navigation some without. I'd honestly just research all of these cars in your area and see what is out there. When you buy a used jag from a jag dealer you get a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty that covers everything except normal wear and tear items like brake pads belts and stuff like that. There is no deductible and the people at both the dealers near me took care of me. You could get a 2003 still covered under the original bumper-bumper warranty as long as it hasn't been 4 years since the car was initially purchased or if the car is under 50,000 miles and the warranty transfers to you. If you get a car that is under 4 years/50,000 miles you can purchase and extended warranty through jaguar for around 1500 dollars that covers up to 6 years and 100,000 miles after the car was intially purchased from the dealer as a new car. Hopefully I'm not confusing but the jag warranty is about 3-4,000 dollars cheaper than all of the ones I checked on. Unfortunately my car was just over 50,000 miles so I couldn't get the warranty through them. If you are worried about the car breaking down or paying for repairs the warranty they offer takes care of the worry you may have. The 04 you are speaking of is still covered under warranty until its 4 years old or you hit 50,000 miles so you are worry free until than and like I said you could buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty for less than 2grand.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

By the way is this the car you are looking at???

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...amp;cardist=21

If this is the car that you are looking at it does have heated front seats with the sunroof option you also have fold down rear seats. It doesn't come with a traction control system though. If this isn't the car you are looking at disregard everything I say! They have some vws and what not so I figure this may or may not be it. If I were you knowing what I know now I wouldn't get that particular one. Its not a bad deal but there are way better out there...trust me on this one. Mine has the traction control system and I am glad mine has it. I didn't really care about it when I bought my car but I am fortunate now that I have it. First snow storm we had here in Michigan (actually the only one that actually affected the roads yet this year) I found the tcs system very very helpful. We had ice on the ground and 4 inches of snow on top of the ice and when I had the tcs on the car goes straight down the road without any delay, I even tried to yank the wheel from one side to the next and the car would not let me bring the back end around. When I turn it off its a different story! You floor it while the tcs is off she is just like a rear wheel drive pick-up!!! I'm not saying it wasn't fun and I wasn't trying to do it but its good to know what will happen just incase the worst happens. Most dealers know absolutely nothing about these cars whatsoever so generally if you go in there acting like you know more than them you will be all set. Non jag dealers know absolutely NOTHING about these cars so when you tell them what everything is you can get the best possible price. Ask us if you need any information about these cars so you sound like you've already owned one.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi and welcome! Let me try and answer your original questions....

• Going around a sharp left curve, I felt a shudder up front, is that the AWD? -----No, there is something wrong and you need to have it looked at. If the dealer will not give you a warranty, i would not buy. (if you feel you must have it, take it to a certified Jag dealer for inspection prior to buying)

• How expensive are repairs and maintenance compared to other cars (Toyota)?-----VERY EXPENSIVE! look to doubling the cost.

• Is this a good deal... too good?----You know the old saying...if it's too good to be true.......

• Can I get parts at any auto parts store, generally?----easy question...NO...look to getting most of your parts from the internet....

• Anything I should look out for on this car? ---It's a great car if you don't buy a lemon...lol...Jags do have there problems, like any car, so i would consider the cost of maintenance and parts. For the most part, most are trouble free and hopefully your jag experiance will be a happy and joyful one.

On a more serious note, as i stated above on the first question, and your concern for the shudder...I would have it looked at...if you don't get a good explanation of the warranty or feel uncomfortable, i would not buy.

Many other jags out there and you can get a 03 for much less, or shop around, plenty of 05's out there too....

Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

Heres how you tell if they have a traction control system...

The first one is the one that I think is the one you are looking at and the other is one with tcs. The car is good in the snow either way but if you get on her without the tcs it still puts out 60% of the power to the rear and you end up doing fishtails up and down the road!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/343FF968C49949CB847FA4ACC482DC65.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/620EC02AE19B4A19B15B1D29CCF14BBB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

In addition to what racer said the parts are unavailable at local parts stores including wheel bearings which you'd think are common! I can't even get rotors at autozone or murray's. I honestly don't think its a good deal I still look everywhere to see if I got ripped. If it has a warranty you have nothing to worry about but if you are serious go to the jag dealer or call them up with the vin and ask them to check for you. You can call the 1800 jag number to find out if its still under warranty before you find out its a lemon! Just be cautious.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with most of what has been said here, but you can definately find a better deal than that if you shop around for a little and much better if you are willing to travel. in june i bought an 04 2.5 manual (heated seats, sunroof, premium audio system) with 23k miles and 50k warrantyfrom a non-jaguar dealerfor $16.5, in august my uncle bought a 2004 3.0 auto with 25k miles(heated seats, sunroof, parking sensors, trip computer) with 100k warranty from a jaguar dealer for $22k, in september my dad got an 03 2.5 auto (parking sensors, heated seats, xenon lights) with 20k miles and the 100k warranty for $17.5. my uncle got ripped off a bit imo, but he saw mine, fell in love with it, came into a bit of money and wanted one right away. i found mine completely by accident online on a sunday and flew to philly to buy it on the following wednesday. we shopped ebay for my dad's and found it at a dealer about 2.5 hours away from us.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck in your quest...we'll be right here waiting for your return after you purchase the greatest machine ever known to man.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah Toyo,
If you don't impulse buy you can get alot better deals, I needed a car when I bought mine as my wife and I only had our escape and I had to use my motorcycle to get to work everyday and that doesn't help out when it rains. I bought my car within a week of searching after I was approved from my bank. My 02 was blue booked at $19,995 when I bought it for $15,500 (I think with taxes included) so just because a dealer says the blue book on the car is this or that and were already below walk away because these cars for some reason sell nowhere near there blue book value. I was shopping online on ebay for mine and found many sports that I wanted but nobody would cut me a deal. I was looking at the 03 and 04 3.0 black sports and they were like 20k or right around that and they were fully loaded with every option including navigation. I asked many of them if they would take 17k even though I was already approved for up to 19k for an 02 x-type. If the bank knew that I was looking at a car 2 years newer I would have been approved for a larger amount but if the dealer wants to rid itself from the car they have to drop the price. 2 days after I bought my car though the dealers on ebay called me back and said they would take what I was offering and I was extremely ticked off because they were fully loaded. I love my car though so I'm not too dissappointed about it becuase I havn't seen one with my color scheme and being a sport. A warranty is important if you are worried about the cost of repair. Just a key fob for the car is $150 and thats per key fob. A driveshaft was $1,250 just for the part plus labor! So the cars are not cheap to fix or replace things. Do some research and see what you really want. Do you want the 2.5 liter engine or the 3.0 liter engine. If you want the 2.5 liter you can get the cars with every possible option except the bigger motor and pay thousands of dollars less than you would for a 3.0. Decide first whether you like the look of the sport or the regular one like the red one that you spotted. The sport has painted pieces instead of the chrome, a little stiffer ride, different rims, and I'm 99% sure they come stock with the traction control (at least every one I've test driven.) To me I like the painted sporty look over the more elegant looking chrome pieces. But these cars are fun and the looks you get are priceless!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/7F5497E1F31446738B97EF243EFA927E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/4452D5C5587C47F59A34E7537643FE38.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there toyo here are some from ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...78058459QQrdZ1
Less than 4 hours from your location. Car is fully loaded with back-up sensors, trip computer, and the 18's. Nice car especially for the money!

03 for 18k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...76415620QQrdZ1

02 for 16k 8 hours from you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...70191327QQrdZ1

04 for 22k 10 hours away
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...71046455QQrdZ1

04 for 21,800 17 hours away with navigation and full 100,000 mile warranty!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...77772681QQrdZ1

04 for 22,700 almost 12 hours away with navigation, xenons, warranty till december (can buy extended) nice car. Offer less money he has the option to offer him less/lowball and see what he counters!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...72207754QQrdZ1

Old 01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

I assume you are talking about the charcoal gray one. My wife says that the next one that we get will be that dark charcoal color. It looks good, little more showy than just black with the metallic flake in the paint. Once tinted that car looks reallllllllllyyyy nice! I love the 18" rims they started putting on the x's in 04. They look like aftermarket wheels and they look nice and easy to clean! Low mile on that one as well, that car is a pretty good deal but I'd still low ball them after all they are a dealer and thats the name of the game! I'd at least offer 1,500 less than what they want so you could buy the extended warranty through jag! Also most of these cars are spotless. With these used jags I've found that they are just as new as any american car that is brand new, especially if you go to a jag dealer to get one many of those are just off lease and are in excellent condition. Good luck again!

Here's a grey one on ebay...didn't show because it had high mileage but the car looks nice...shows what he charcoal looks like with tint...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...WDVWQQtcZphoto

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/1AF661C4B5334DB8A23A28253002E803.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Standard traction is your wheels will spin when you hit some ice/water/mud...etc...with DTC your transmission will sense that the wheel has no traction and your engine will decrease the power out put....so if you floor it...and your wheels spin with DTC, the engine will decrease the power till you get traction....

sound right?

Old 01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  4.6 KB

I've had my 2.5 since late October and just love it. I'd say go for the car just make sure you get the right one!
Check it out and make sure you do your homework, and as Andersen says, you will pay that little bit more for just about everything, part of the price you pay for owning a luxury car that turns heads wherever you do!

Jim C

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential New Owner with Questions