X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering leaks

Hi. I have a 2002 3.0 X Type. While driving, the power steering system developed a leak and all the fluid was pumped out. The leak appears to be between the pump and the block. Can anyone help me please ?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

You're going to have to get under the car to have a look at where the leak is. You'll need to raise at least the front end and remove the right front wheel, then the access panel behind it in the wheel well. You may have to refill the reservoir and then run the engine to locate the leak source. Once you know that you can set about fixing it.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Do as Swinging said, but I would add another step; get a spray can of grease cleaner, spray around the steering pump and the hoses, and steering rack, rinse it of, run to warm up the engine, then get a bright flash light to check it out where is the leak, some time it would leaked from the higher place and fluid run down, it will be hard to tell. to remove the steering pump; Again you need a bright light, lay under the car, remove two lower bolts, and get on top of passenger side (right side) to remove one upper bold, trace the hoses to the steering rack and the fluid reservoir.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry! Correction; Two bolts on top steering pump, not one as I said on last post, the top left (if you stand in front look at the car) is the most tricky to remove or install, there is very tight space and you can't see the bolt, it's a curs if you have a big hand.