X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Sound Aftermarket Stereo How To

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Premium Sound Aftermarket Stereo How To

I decided to put an aftermarket head unit in my '05 tonight. I read several posts about how it is difficult to do with the premium sound package because of the fiber optics.

After work I purchased a 2 din Boss (keep the rude comments to yourself, it's my car) and grabbed the schematic. In a little over 2 hours it was completely done. Not really that hard. I bypassed the amp & CD changer, so if you are wanting to keep the stock amp this isn't for you. I plan on using an aftermarket amp and making my own wiring harness.

What I did tonight was for temporary use of the aftermarket unit. If you just want stock speakers with no amp this will work great. Before I spend the time uploading pictures and giving steps, would anyone be interested in reading how I did it? I just know there aren't any threads on here from people that made any sense. Most users were saying you have to rewire all of the speakers in the doors lol.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be interested in that. I have a single cd changer unit in mine. My understanding is you lose steering wheel controls. Finding an ACM to integrate USB is just proving impossible.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revere
I'd be interested in that. I have a single cd changer unit in mine. My understanding is you lose steering wheel controls. Finding an ACM to integrate USB is just proving impossible.
You have to purchase a steering wheel control module in order to keep your controls. I believe crutchfield has it. I wasn't concerned with my controls as I do not use them. I will be installing a module if I decide to sell in the future. I will take some pictures this weekend and show what I did to bypass the fiber optics that is attached to the stock premium sound. What I did was a temporary fix. I am waiting on my supplies to build a harness to make things a lot more simple.

The following users liked this post:
pickasho (12-04-2019)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Can you install the back up camera to your unit? If it had the Blue tooth and navigate?

Old 11-27-2019, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howd you do this feat?

Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
I decided to put an aftermarket head unit in my '05 tonight. I read several posts about how it is difficult to do with the premium sound package because of the fiber optics.

After work I purchased a 2 din Boss (keep the rude comments to yourself, it's my car) and grabbed the schematic. In a little over 2 hours it was completely done. Not really that hard. I bypassed the amp & CD changer, so if you are wanting to keep the stock amp this isn't for you. I plan on using an aftermarket amp and making my own wiring harness.

What I did tonight was for temporary use of the aftermarket unit. If you just want stock speakers with no amp this will work great. Before I spend the time uploading pictures and giving steps, would anyone be interested in reading how I did it? I just know there aren't any threads on here from people that made any sense. Most users were saying you have to rewire all of the speakers in the doors lol.
I'm highly interested in how you did this and would love to see pictures of the way you did it. I'm trying the same as I speak and am at a little bit of a loss any help would be greatly appreciated.