X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program key

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program key

I just called the dealer and they want $260 to program a key and remotes. I have one working FOB switchblade key. I bought a FOB switchblade with a new blank key off of ebay and need to get it working. The dealer said the key had to be programmed and the remote had to be programmed.

What is in the key portion that needs to be programmed? i found instructions for programming the remotes on here, but what has to be done to my blank key to make it work besides having it cut?

The dealer said parts would cut the key for free, but all the programming is $260. What a rip off for 5 minutes of work! (Moore Jaguar in St. Louis).

Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

You might look for another dealer - I bought fobs from Ebay and took them to the dealer. I bought 2 keys at the dealer and had them cut, assembled, and programmed for about $220.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's still a rediculous price for 5 minutes of work. I just need to know whats in the key part that the dealer has to do something to? I can program the remotes myself and get the key cut for free.

For the money they are charging I can rip out and bypass the whole system and throw in a Viper alarm. It's ludicrous.

If I would have known this, that's exactly what I would have done before I invested in the parts.

Anyway, I just need to know what the deal is with the key portion of the remote. I am guessing it has a tronsponder or something in it for the security? If so, how is it programmed?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

It is a transponder and its programmed via the dealer IDS system.It is possible to remove the transponder from one key and fit it into another key and it will work.I took my X Type to the other end of the country last year to see if another UK forum member who has IDS could get rid of an error on my intrument cluster.After 3 or 4 hours and using his IDS to program various bits and pieces and hardware I jumped in the car to set off home.Inserted the key and car wouldnt start.As I only hasd 1 key wiith me Im not sure exactly what he did but he took the transponder out of my key and put it into another key (I think) and reprogrammed it to work.I am a bit skaty on the excact details of what he did but yes there is a transponder in your key.