X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Push button start

Did any of the X types go to push button start in later model? I think this is a cool option. I have 2 UK cars that had push button starts, an MGA and a Austin Healy 3000 MK II, of course this was over 40 years ago.

There is a company I found online that offers push button start kits for modern cars. They offer 6 or 7 kits, according to what type of electronic on the car, IE PW, PD Alarms, remote entry, remote trunk, electric windows with and without one touch feature. You still need your key to turn the ignition but starting and stopping the engine is via push button mounted on the dash. I emailed them yesterday and describes my car and all the equipment on it. Waiting for an answer. The prices start at $149 to $406 a kit according to how the car is equipped. Trouble is I am not good at auto electrics, tried to fix a short once on another car I had and made a mess. Had to go to dealer to fix. Aside from Jaguar, the other problem is there are no good car electric shops in this area, and I'm not sure Jaguar would do this kind of modification. Anyone try this mod?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Trust me, you really don't want to start cutting into the electrical system of a car as complicated as an X-Type, really, you don't...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or do you...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Pushbutton Start

I thought about this for several hours last night and decided I might to opening up a Pandora's box, by cutting into the wiring system of this car. Besides I am not very good at car wiring and would need to get a shop to do it and as I said there aren't any good car electric shops around here, In fact there is only one in listed as car electrics in the phonebook. I'd wager they have never worked on a Jaguar either. Besides I don't think I want to spend this kinda of money on something that only looks cool and has no other purpose but that.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 AM

I know this is an aging thread but on this theme, has anyone ventured into the PBS (push button start) systems on their X-type.

My tumbler is pooched, have removed it and need a better solution than the pliers!

I was looking at: This thing and some reading in broken english here: http://www.easycaralarm.com/remote_s...arm_e771as.php

I have a comfort level with auto electrics so easy on the scare-mongering please

comments? thoughts?
TIA

Last edited by carlstev; 06-30-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: broken url
Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Whats the point? New push button start cars have smart keys that just have to be in the car. and smart buttons that stay active until the car starts. To have to put the key in, turn on the ignition, and then push a button, and hold the button till the car starts...? Whats the point?
Just seems silly to me... Or does it?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by flyrr100
Whats the point?
Just seems silly to me... Or does it?
Hey flyrr100, couple of points at least: one being personal preference or adding a little uniqueness. Some folks are 'mod' junkies, this would be a mild mod in my opinion and non performance related - like aftermarket stereo or XenonHID lighting or Ultra Low Profile tyres or rear spoiler or... well you get it.

The links I posted (if read) show your modified key stays in the ignition, your proximity transmitter (on your person) activates auxiliary power and ability to engage start button. Quite cool in my opinion but not the reason I was researching this option. My ignition barrel, tumbler, cylinder is pooched - I was fearing extortion from the dealer to replace, however since posting a Jag dealer in Ontario quoted me about $200 with taxes in, with one week turnaround, all they need is the VIN #, so this will be my path.

Still eager to hear of anyone attempting the start button mod on their cat anyway.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dare i request anyones experience with remote start for 2004 x-type?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Dare i request anyones experience with remote start for 2004 x-type?
Dare away!

My 2002 has an aftermarket remote starter / alarm system. I found the operating manual for the system online after we purchased the car, and it was a zillion pages of operating instructions.

I have used it a couple of times, but there is something intimate about crawling behind the wheel and turning the key that is part of "the experience" of owning a car like this.

You might think it the way to go in a place like this, with -40f to -50f winter temperatures, but I find that starting at those temps requires sometimes "feathering" the gas to keep it running, or shutting it off pronto if it backfires (before it starts throwing codes) because it is so damned cold.

I guess using it to cool the interior before getting in, in the summer, is an idea - but I try to park it in cool places to begin with.

Too gimmicky, methinks.

And another wireless key-fob to lose.

(but the insurance company likes the additional alarm system!)

Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default push button

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Did any of the X types go to push button start in later model? I think this is a cool option. I have 2 UK cars that had push button starts, an MGA and a Austin Healy 3000 MK II, of course this was over 40 years ago.

There is a company I found online that offers push button start kits for modern cars. They offer 6 or 7 kits, according to what type of electronic on the car, IE PW, PD Alarms, remote entry, remote trunk, electric windows with and without one touch feature. You still need your key to turn the ignition but starting and stopping the engine is via push button mounted on the dash. I emailed them yesterday and describes my car and all the equipment on it. Waiting for an answer. The prices start at $149 to $406 a kit according to how the car is equipped. Trouble is I am not good at auto electrics, tried to fix a short once on another car I had and made a mess. Had to go to dealer to fix. Aside from Jaguar, the other problem is there are no good car electric shops in this area, and I'm not sure Jaguar would do this kind of modification. Anyone try this mod?
DON'T do it!!!!!!! You WILL have problems, electrics are VERY temperamental on jags