X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

BaltVista, check your PM. I left you a nice response. If you need anything more, let me know.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Thermo, I need that same info. Car is the same.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ant, here you go:

For a fan to fail to operate, this is normally caused by 1 of 2 problems. Either a fan motor has fried (ie, opened up electrically) or the fan controller has failed. To distinguish between the two, you will need to access the fan controller and find the red and green wires for the right hand cooling fan and the orange/green and orange/yellow wires for the left hand cooling fan. Put your multimeter across the pairs of wires when the fans are operating (ie, turn on your A/C and this will force the fans to run). What you are looking for is the same voltage on each set of wires for the 2 fans. if you get the same voltage, the one fan that is not spinning is bad. If you get voltage on one set of wires but no voltage on the other, you have a bad fan control module.

As for what/where you can buy the parts, that is a loaded question. A one stop shop place is http://www.carparts.com. You can look either locally or nationwide for the parts. As for finding only the fan controller, I wish you luck. These are going pretty fast and tend to get a pretty penny even for used. In a lot of cases, they will only sell the fan assembly which is going to have both fans and the module. I would say before you start buying anything, you know what parts you need. If you do end up replacing the fan control module, would you be willing to send me the fan control module. I want a DOA unit so I can dissect it and see what is failing inside. That way I can see if it is even possible and make recommendations for those that are willing to repeat my repair. If you do find a controller, you are looking at about $100-200. You can pick up the whole fan assemblies for $150 on up. As for replacing it, this is something that you can do. It isn't that hard. The big thing is making sure the motor is cold before you start into this as you will be playing with a lot of things that can be hot (exhaust headers, radiator, hoses, motor, etc). After that, I think it is 1 electrical plug and 4 (maybe up to 8 screws). may have to remove a coolant hose (after draining some coolant) to give you some room. But, not hard at all. If you are in the Southern Maryland area, I would tell you to come over and we will do it at my place. If you take it to a shop, plan on them getting you for another $150 or so in addition to what you pay for the parts.

As for how long you can drive your car without the fans running, that is like asking you what my favorite color is. There's a lot of factors that play into this. If you can keep the car above about 30 mph, you can drive forever. The trick is when you get in town. That is when you will have issues. I would give the car maybe 5 minutes after being on the highway at best. Odds are you will only get 2-3. part of it depends on if you can ease off the gas say 30 seconds before and let the car coast a while as there will be tons of stored heat in the block from running at highway speeds.

Hopefully this answers all of your questions. IF you want/need more info, let me know. I Will go into more detail or expand on what I have already talked about.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Thermo, I'm all about DIY, I'll do the tests and let you know. Sending the module wouldn't be a prob if that is the case. Go-part.com has them (fans and module) for $215 shipped.