X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising my xtype for more ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raising my xtype for more ground clearance

anyone have any idea on how to go about doing that. I want to have about 2" - 3" more ground clearance because of the weather here. I don't want to hear about why or there is no point etc. I just want to know how it can be done. Any garage I speak to just says no when I mention Jaguar but it is just a car and I wanted to know how to go about doing that.

btw i have a 2003 Jaguar X-type 2.5L AWD Automatic with stock 16" on there. any help will be greately appreciated.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

kashaf, can it be done. Of course. What you are wanting to look into are parts called "coil spring spacers". These come in 2 flavors. You have poly ones and then you have the billet ones. The poly ones are simply a firm plastic where the billet ones are a metal (normally an aluminum alloy) that is machined. As you can imagine, the poly ones are cheaper, but you can expect a bit more spongy ride from them as compared to the billet ones.

If you do install these, an alignment getting done to the car will be a necessity. I think your bigger problem will be finding one that will work for your car. I would start with what is available for a vehicle like a Ford Ranger or a Chevy S10. Find out the dimensional information and then see what will work for your car.

With how our cars are constructed, these spacers will need to be added to the top of the coil spring, not the bottom. Keep that in mind. You may also need to look at possibly getting longer struts as it may be somewhat difficult to get things put together. But, not impossible.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

The only thing I can think of is coil spacers like thermo said or having some springs made that are taller. I used to have a spring maker bookmarked but its gone now that I have a new computer. You can find places that make race car springs and have them make whatever you need, typically I think they wanted like 80 per spring so really it wouldn't cost much more than lowering springs from h and r or something.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:36 PM

I am a total n00b about this kind of stuff. is it possible to make the struts longer on the x type or do i have to buy new ones. Are there places where they can do that to my struts that are currently in there. As far as springs I suppose I could put coil spring spacers or just get some place to make me longer springs.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the spacers on my cadillac once when i put 20" wheels on it. not bad just a little stiffer ride. local rhino lining found them for me.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If you only raise it a few inches you should be ok with stock struts.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

kashaf, I do a lot with lifted trucks. They do make shock extenders, but nothing for struts as these are load bearing items and extending them is not a good idea. You would need to find a strut that would have 1" more of travel than the stock ones. A good quality suspension shop should be able to hook you up if you go this route. But, like was mentioned, depending on how high you go, you may not need anything extra. it will be fairly obvious once you get the spacers in if you need something new. The first pot hole you hit will tell you all you need to know. As the wheel drops into the hole, if you hear a loud "thud-thud" (ie, the wheel reaching maximum downward travel and striking the bottom of the strut and then a second thud from the wheel catching the far side of the pot hole), then you have an issue. Replacing the strut will be needed in the very near future or else you are going to destroy the strut and have other issues on your hands.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 PM

ok so i found a company coilsprings dot com that makes custom coil springs that will raise the body for the x-type by 2" in the front and rear. There are load bearing struts in the front and shock absorbers in the rear. Will the stock struts and shock abosrbers work with the new coil springs or will I need to get longer ones?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run stock Jag rims with taller snow tires in the Colorado winter. No reason to lift it. Get a larger sidewall winter tire that will fit without rubbing. If I can do this in Colorado with no car modifications....it works, I run the 18" rims in the summer.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 AM

like i mentioned in initial thread i don't want alternatives and i don't want to kill this thread by posting alternatives. i know that the xtype can take upto 18" fine without any rubbing issues.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Skyjacker Suspension Systems - Skyjacker Suspensions & Lift Kits, Skyjacker Leveling Kits

Or other custom places. Call a 4x4 place. Not many experts here in this forum on what you are wanting.

Last edited by carcster; 05-20-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Kashaf,
This may be a silly question but do you have the sport package?
If you do just converting to the stock comfort springs will give you 1.5"

Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 AM

to be honest i am not sure paul how do you tell. its an 03 and it does have "premium sound" meaning a woofer in the rear parcel shelf. the company emailed me back saying i should be able to put taller springs which will give me added 2" ground clearance and it should be ok with stock struts.

ps love your signature

Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

If your bumpers are all the same colour then odds are its a sport if you have chrome strips its probably not. try using the VIN decoder that should help you find out what trim package you have. other guys on here will be able to help also. could you post a pic of your jag?