X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement

I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing the plastic clips on the window regulators, instead of replacing the entire regulator? (see photo of plastic clip replacements below)

Both rear windows on my 2002 x-type do not function properly. The passenger side rear window now drops to full open and I have to manually lift it closed (and tape it in place). The motor sounds like it is working fine and it sounds like the linkage cable is moving when the buttons are depressed. I believe that the plastic clip has degraded to the point where it is no longer connected to the window and either the window glass is no longer aligned with the clip or the clip is essential no longer there.

The driver side rear will not go down with the motor, but it will free-fall after the motor has been in the down position for a sec or two. When I move the switch to the UP position, the window moves up to the closed position. I suspect the plastic clip, while not attached to the window, is still aligned to push the window up when the clip lifts the bottom of the window glass.

I have been reading quite a bit about the failure of the window regulators and it is almost always due to the plastic clips failing. Purchasing a used regulator makes no sense if the clips are the original ones that came with the donor car, since it is only a matter of time (likely short) before they fail as well.

Was looking for someone who may have had experience replacing the clips and what, if anything I should watch out for. Will post updates when replacement clips arrive and get installed.