X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement

Old 11-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement

A few weeks back, both rear power windows stopped working within a few days of each other.

The rear right (passenger) side window simply dropped to the full open position. When the switch was pressed, no window movement was seen and a "scraping" noise came out of the inner door while the motor was engaged. I raised the window by hand and taped it to hold it closed.

The left (driver) side rear window would not go down when the switch was placed to "Open", but would eventually simply fall open. When the switch was placed to "Close" the window lifted up to the full close position.

I had a chance to investigate this week and found the following.

The right rear plastic regulator clip had severely degraded and the pull cable had broken out of its holder (see photo below for location of break). When this happened, the cable had also jumped its position in the take-up spool, kinked up and then literally chewed the alignment channels on the spool to a point where they were no longer useful. I found a repair kit on Amazon for around $17 with $8 shipping. It is pictured below and comes with everything that was destroyed when the original clip broke. When you first look at the spool on the window regulator, it appears to be permanently attached to the regulator. The spool will pop out of its holder and is thus replaceable.

The left rear was a more simple fix. As I had suspected, the window had come free of the regulator clip and thus would not be pulled down when the regulator clip went down, but the clip would catch the bottom of the window on its way up and push the window closed. Again, the plastic clip had become degraded and this allowed the small plastic window retaining plug to fall out of the regulator. I replaced the regulator clip with a new one, reinserted the plug during installation and finished up by re-calibrated the one touch feature on the window.

I hope this helps anyone who may be experiencing similar problems.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement-spool_01.jpg   Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement-spool_02.jpg   Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement-spool_03.jpg   Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement-spool_04.jpg   Rear Window Regulator Clip Replacement-window_regulator_clip_repair_kit_b.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (11-28-2016)