X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Tail Light

I cannot find any simple explanation for how to replace the tail light on my 2004 X-Type. I removed the liner and I see some clips, but it does not look intuitive to me. Can someone help w/ a step-by-step? Also, the side lights on the same side are out. Is it likely that both burned out at the same time (I don't know for sure whether they stopped working at the same time) or that there is something else that controls both?

TIA!

Ron

Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

There if you look behind the light in the trunk, there are hand tightened nuts (looks kind of like a plastic sprocket). Once those are off, there are a couple retaining clips that you pinch in. Pull the bulb holder straight back gently, otherwise you can break the glass bulbs if you force it (I have done this once myself, so keyword is "gently").

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-10-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still problem

I replaced the two bulbs and after they did not work, tested the old bulbs in the other tail light assembly. They worked there, so the problem is NOT the bulbs. Is there anyone in this forum with more than a very basic understanding of the vehicle who could give me an idea where to look next? I do not see any fuse that would explain the passenger side tail lights and side marking lights not working, but the turn signal and brakes do.

I'm guessing something in the connection. Is there something that is likely responsible?

TIA

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

rkidcaid, what I would tell you to do is to first see if some of the bulbs work, but others don't and then write down what works and what doesn't. Please send that to me as I might be able to figure out the common theme between them. The other thing you can do is to get your hands on a traditional lead pencil (the one with the rubber eraser on the end). Now, remove the holder for the bulbs and remove the bulbs that don't work. Using the rubber eraser end of the pencil, rub the eraser on the metal parts inside the bulb hole. Rub the eraser until the black spots do away. Put the bulbs back in and see if they work.

After that, we are looking at either a problem with the bus bars on the bulb backing or there is a problem with the connector. You can do a visual of the connector to see if the wiring looks ok or not. From there we will need to use a multimeter to determine where the problem lies.