Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement hood ornament?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Replacement hood ornament?

Hi!
Congrats and welcome! The hood ornament is a concern for all and thankfully I have been able to hold on to mine for 3 years now...phew!

Some history:
In the early years automobiles had their radiator caps outside of the hood and on top of the grille. The hood ornament was born as a way of decorating the cap. Hood ornaments (or car mascots as they are known in the UK) were very popular in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s with many car manufacturers fitting them to their vehicles. As well as the car makers themselves, a very healthy business was created in the supply of accessory mascots available to anyone who wanted to fit a hood ornament or car mascot to their automobile. Most companies like Desmo and Smiths are now out of business with only Louis Lejeune in England surviving. Hood ornaments are usually cast in brass, zinc or bronze and finished in a chrome plated finish. In the years when chrome plate was unavailable, they were plated in either silver or nickel. There is now a very strong collectors market for hood ornaments and car mascots. Sculptors such as Bazin, Paillet, Sykes, Renevey, and Lejeune all created very finely detailed sculptures in miniature.
The best-known glass mascots were made by René Lalique in France, but other sellers or producers of glass mascots include Sabino in France, Red Ashay in England and Persons Majestic in the U.S. The latter two had their products made in Czechoslovakia. The Lalique company, like Louis Lejeune, is one of the few survivors from this era of motoring. Few current vehicles have hood ornaments, partly because they have fallen out of style and partly because they pose a risk for injuries in collisions with pedestrians (although this hazard has been largely mitigated by mounting modern hood ornaments to springs so that they will fold down if struck by a pedestrian). Hood ornaments still remain quite common on many models of luxury cars and are a target for vandals and thieves.
Ok...wow...now try this: A theft alarm for an automotive hood ornament which utilizes simple components and can be installed without removing any factory installed parts. The switch is contained in a plastic and aluminum housing which is mounted to the automobile under the hood. A lever extends out from the housing and contains a slot for attaching a ball chain. The ball chain is connected at one end to the lever and at the other end to the retaining spring of the hood ornament. The switch is connected to the automobile's battery and horn. When a thief attempts to pull the hood ornament off the automobile the retaining spring compresses and pulls up on the ball chain and lever. The swtich closes and sounds the automobile's horn. Every attempt to remove the hood ornament is matched by the sound of the automobile's horn. [/align]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of interest are the leapers on the US models fitted through the bonnet then, so meaning you cannot do away with them? Thankfully (in my opinion) we do not have them in the UK.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

As far as I know, Arden's hood leapers can be removed when you want .So, you can get it with yourself wherever you go

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, they are fitted on the bonnet with a ball a spring. You can twist it and with some force it can be removed by theft. It is designed not to damage the bonnet if a theft is trying to steal it.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the design, but wud still prefer it to be harderto steal. the spring saves the cost of the damage to the bonnet, but makes it too easy to steal. Its like an invitation to theives to come and take it.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose you can weld it on there..

Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Is there a flat replacement for the hole where the leaper is, like on the xk (not new model)how it has the circular (flat)badge on it. I think some thing like that wud make the X look a little sportier

Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I;m not sure...but that is a great idea!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it'd look that great with just putting the round ornament/emblem on the bonnet...I like the leaper and all but I would rather someone be able to steal it rather than wreck the hood....ok so you save the leaper and a new hood would cost what 1k 2k 3k...plus paint??? I say the 100 bucks you spend on a new leaper is well worth your bonnet getting away without a scratch!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  6.3 KB

ORIGINAL: aquill1
I don't think it'd look that great with just putting the round ornament/emblem on the bonnet...
I saw a really clean looking X ( black ( when I came out of the snooker hall in Stirling last Sunday >> was it you?? <<
The car looked really well looked after, but, I wasn't too impressed with the emblem on the bonnet, but then again, thats just me, I'm not a big fan of the leaper either.
Maybe thats cos we don't have them over here, or maybe its cos, to me its from a bygone age.

Jim

Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 AM

the bonnet to get it replaced and painted costs $1200, i only know this as i had it replaced about 4 months ago, and i am getting it replaced rite now again. [:@]

Old 06-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blimey that seems cheap. we really do get ripped off here in England

Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 AM

to get the bonnet, bumper, left fender, grill, and left headlight replaced and painted its goin to cost about $5000. Thats including having the parts painted. Im not a hundred percent sure if the hood and paint is 1200, but am guessin its about that much. The first time i had it fixed the total was $2100 to fix the bumper, and new hood.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Nice you should become a claims adjuster after this latest incident...you wouldn't even have to look up the prices you'd have them on hand or rather in memory!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:34 AM

I dont think i cud ever be a claims adjuster, id prolly just give everyone extra money, cos i know how much those guys low ball everyone when they are given the estimate

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

You sir, will quickly be unemployed!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Every insurance company is like that! No matter if its insurance for a phone or car or house...Man I don't want to get started on the insurance kick again!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed. We're talking about hood ornaments, and if we drift to insurance, we'll end up talking about Bill Clinton maybe being the new "First Lady"! Get it, "First Lady"...oh I crack myself up! LOL!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Man I hope not! Everyone thought this country went to crap from bush I could only wait!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement hood ornament?