X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing coils, plugs, intake gaskets | what to prepare for.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing coils, plugs, intake gaskets | what to prepare for.

To keep it short my 03 xtype 3.0 developed a misfire, based off obd codes traced it back to a faulty coil. Went ahead and bought 6 new coils, 6 ngk v-power plugs, and new upper and lower intake gaskets ( I know this doesn't deal with the miss, just something to replace while I got the intake open).

I've found a fairly decent video walk through on the process, however I'm 19 years old and this is my first major work on a vehicle that ill be doing mostly on my own.

What should I prepare myself for? I understand for some it may be simple but I'm very much a beginner and would love any sort of advice big or small to help this go smoothly. I have a decent concept on engine work, but lack the hands on experience.

Once again all help big or small would be very helpful, thank you!

Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Grazed and cut hands, but it really isn't hard, just take your time, as everything seems to take longer than you think (it does with me anyhow) i done this yesterday, but mines only a 2.1, but the same common applies. My gaskets were really compressed, and i am sure was the cause of my misfire. If you run into any problems, just post on here, and i will help as much as i can. good luck, (you dont need it, you can do this!)

Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Andrew the work itself is pretty straight forward but there are a couple of tricks and pointers you need.
1. follow this link to the how to section and at the very bottom is the download for the tech manual in PDF https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

You will need the manual for the torque values and the torque sequence. It is important. To loose you leak and to tight you can pull the brass inserts out of the block.

2. Get a torque wrench that reads in Inch Pds./NM's

3. The brake booster line is tricky. To remove it you will feel an outer ring around the tube. Press the ring against the manifold and the tube will pull out.

4. I removed the 4 bolts holding the throttle body to the manifold and left it
mounted to the water hoses rather than disturb them. Due to heat the connectors are fragile. I reused the throttle body seal.

5. Make sure the car has sat long enough for the engine to be cool. If you ry to remove the manifold bolts hot you will strip the brass inserts out of the block.

Everything else is just nuts and bolts. Good wrenching to you and lets us know if you further help.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Wink

Jump in, take your time as advised, & you'll be very pleased with your work if you do.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

There are two bolts on the rear of the intake that hold a wiring harness, they only need be loosened not removed for the harness to lift off.
Do your IMT gaskets/o-rings during this process also.