X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Intake Manifold gaskets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Intake Manifold gaskets.

Unfortunately my 03 x type developed a misfire on cylinder 4. Invested in 6 new coils and plugs. Sadly though in order to complete the repair you need to take off the intake manifold. I've heard that it's smart to replace the intake manifold gaskets once you open it up. Im assuming once opened they won't seal as well after.

Just want to verify if I should replace them or not, don't want to bring up another issue by not replacing them so all help is really appreciated.

EDIT: Found out that there is an upper and lower intake manifold gasket, would I need to replace both or just the upper??

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Better safe than sorry, they shoudn’t be too expensive.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

It is a good idea to always replace the upper and lower manifold seals at the same time. Refer to JTIS Workshop Manual for procedure. The seals are VIN-specific when ordering.

You should also replace the IMT o-rings on the upper inlet manifold and the breather hose below the lower inlet manifold as they are both the source of possible P0171 and P0174 DTCs.

The following users liked this post:
newtojags (03-07-2018)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NBCat
It is a good idea to always replace the upper and lower manifold seals at the same time. Refer to JTIS Workshop Manual for procedure. The seals are VIN-specific when ordering.

You should also replace the IMT o-rings on the upper inlet manifold and the breather hose below the lower inlet manifold as they are both the source of possible P0171 and P0174 DTCs.
Currently the vehicle has a P0304 code which was described as a cylinder 4 misfire, P0354 Ignition coil d primary / secondary circuit. Also a P1314 code for cat damage from the misfire.

As a result I purchased 6 new coils and 6 new plugs to remedy the issue. I will likely now also get upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

However are the IMT o-rings and breather hose things I will also need to replace to solve my current issue? Or is it something that may be wise to replace to remedy a potentially upcoming issue.

Thank you.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

AndrewG, lets start with the gaskets. Must you change them. No. But, as we have found, after pulling things apart and putting them back together, you may find that a leak has formed. Not that pulling things apart is difficult, it does take a little bit of time. So, if you have things apart, putting in new gaskets will give you a lot of peaceful nights.

When it comes to the IMT gaskets and the like, these again are cheap things and saves you from cussing later when you are tearing things back apart. The one IMT o-ring replacement is super easy. No real work needs to be done. But, the other, well, lets just say to do it properly, you have to pull the intake off (an hour of work to lift, an hour to put it back on). Granted, we have figured out that you can get the lower IMT valve loose and you can stretch the o-ring into place (not necessarily the best for the o-ring though). The IMT o-rings and breather hose are not needed to fix your misfire issue. But, you will find that the X-Type develops vacuum leaks when you play with things and putting in new stuff will help save you from having to figure out another issue later.

Do some looking here. I have listings for the Felpro version of the o-rings for the upper and lower intakes. Far cheaper than the Jaguar o-rings and they are pretty much identical ($20 for the uppers, $20 for the lowers as I recall).

newtojags (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have a photo of the "breather hose below the inlet manifold" referred to by NBCAT above, possibly also the "IMT o-rings on the upper inlet manifold"?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The breather hose is in 2 places. Rear camshaft cover breather, and front camshaft cover PCV breather hose. Attached are pictures. Piece 16 is the IMT O-rings

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Intake Manifold gaskets.-breather-hose.jpg   Replacing Intake Manifold gaskets.-intake-manifold.jpg   Replacing Intake Manifold gaskets.-vent-tube.jpg  
newtojags (03-08-2018)