X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Lower Manifold Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Lower Manifold Gaskets?

Hi,
I have a Jaguar 2004 X Type, I bought the upper and lower manifold gaskets from amazon, picked up 6 spark plugs, the breather hose. I got everything taken apart, except for the lower intake manifold that sits below the fuel injectors. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the lower manifold off the block. I took out the 4 bolts that looked to be left holding the lower intake in place but it would not budge. It looks like black plastic and I was scared to try to force it off with a pry bar. My replacement parts from Amazon were very reasonable. I was shocked to see the two O-rings for the IMT valves in the box with the upper intake manifold gaskets. The parts I ordered are:
Fel-Pro MS 96494 Plenum Gasket Set (6 upper manifold gaskets) the two O rings were in the box.

Fel-Pro MS 96485 Intake Manifold Gasket Set
(6 lower manifold gaskets) I never got these in.
OES Genuine Breather Hose for Jaguar X-Type.
If anyone has any ideas why the lower intake would not come off, please share. Now that I've done the upper once, I could probably do the lower in a few hours.

Thanks,
Dan

I removed the 4 hex head bolts, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. You can see where I marked the heads with black marker.

Last edited by danielhux; 01-17-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by danielhux

Hi,
I have a Jaguar 2004 X Type, I bought the upper and lower manifold gaskets from amazon, picked up 6 spark plugs, the breather hose. I got everything taken apart, except for the lower intake manifold that sits below the fuel injectors. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the lower manifold off the block. I took out the 4 bolts that looked to be left holding the lower intake in place but it would not budge. It looks like black plastic and I was scared to try to force it off with a pry bar. My replacement parts from Amazon were very reasonable. I was shocked to see the two O-rings for the IMT valves in the box with the upper intake manifold gaskets. The parts I ordered are:
Fel-Pro MS 96494 Plenum Gasket Set (6 upper manifold gaskets) the two O rings were in the box.

Fel-Pro MS 96485 Intake Manifold Gasket Set
(6 lower manifold gaskets) I never got these in.
OES Genuine Breather Hose for Jaguar X-Type.
If anyone has any ideas why the lower intake would not come off, please share. Now that I've done the upper once, I could probably do the lower in a few hours.

Thanks,
Dan

I removed the 4 hex head bolts, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. You can see where I marked the heads with black marker.

If all the bolts are off, I wonder if someone put some RTV on there or something. I know that some of those stick like glue (the right stuff).

I had no problem doing mine, and don't recall any hidden bolts or anything.

Maybe if you gently tap it with a rubber mallet or something...

The following users liked this post:
danielhux (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the reply back, Jaggedy.

I wasn't sure if I missed a secret bolt or some magic trick to get that lower manifold off the block. The old upper gaskets were green, and covered in oil.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:14 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The 4 silver colored flanged bolts 2 top left and 2 bottom right hold it down, Some do use RTV, but dont forget it is still held by the injectors also?

Disconnect the fuel pressure connector then slacken the rail bolts and waggle injectors and rail loose then try manifold.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:20 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Disregard the rubbish I wrote earlier should have had another coffee!!

But the rail may be held on front of engine by a single bolt? it is on my V6

The following users liked this post:
danielhux (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Thanks Joesoap,
I took tons of pictures while I was taking it apart, I'll look through the pics to see if I can see anything that looks suspicious. The engine in my jag is a V6 3.0 also.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You have to take the bolt that held down the fuel injectors rail, and the fuel injectors too. they're stick into the intake manifold.