X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration

I have a 2005 X-type that was an ok driver. I bought a 2006 Sport that is in great condition but a dead motor. Since the 2006 had nicer interior and the alcantara/carbon option I decided to do a full interior swap from beige to the black and a full color change on the car.

Three things that I am doing that I hope can be swapped over;

1) the headlights in the running car were crap and the parts car’s are in great condition. The problem is the parts car has Xenon and the running car is hologen. From what I see I can swap them with just adding an extra ground wire to the plug? Also, since I have all the components from the parts car, how hard is it to change the full system to be able to use the self leveling parts?

2) the running car has the standard stereo and the parts car has the optional alpine. Can this just be swapped over? I swapped the doors/door panels over to the running car already and will swap the stereo over with the rest of the interior next week. Will this all work with the standard car’s wire harness? What about the rear tray speakers? There are two speakers there where the running car doesn’t have any. Are there wires ran already on a standard car that aren’t plugged into anything?

3) heated seats are a big thing for my wife. All the doors, dash etc are going to be moved over so all the switches and seats are ready to go. Are these just a plug and play with the standard cars harness?

Last edited by jaguarx-type; 06-15-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm currently changing from halogen to xenon, you will need the two leveling sensors and linkage that are pop riveted to the drivers side (USA) front and rear suspension, the leveling module mounted in footwell near fuse box and the cabling.

I've used a link cable from the existing headlight plug to the new units and provided the extra eth and 4 wires for the leveling motor.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by x_type_lpg
I'm currently changing from halogen to xenon, you will need the two leveling sensors and linkage that are pop riveted to the drivers side (USA) front and rear suspension, the leveling module mounted in footwell near fuse box and the cabling.

I've used a link cable from the existing headlight plug to the new units and provided the extra eth and 4 wires for the leveling motor.
Do you have a diagram showing the parts and locations?

Old 06-15-2018, 06:26 PM

So doing some interior swapping now and I see that the harnesses are not the same. The parts car has the overhead unit with integrated garage door opener etc. Both cars use a different harness there. I swapped the harnesses and all good. I noticed that the seat heaters and alpine stereo setup has extra wires in the harness. Has anyone changed the full interior harness over? Any issues?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jaguarx-type. not to ask the silly question, but why are you going about this the hard way. Wouldn't it be easier to swap the motors than to swap the rest of the car? The hardest part of swapping the motors is getting something that you can pick the front end of the car up off the ground (say 3 feet) so you can slide the motor out the bottom. This can be done with nothing more than a simple come-along and the rafters in your garage. Worst case, a high lift jack and a few wood blocks.

From what you are describing, you are going to be essentially transferring over all of the wiring harnesses to do what you are after. Do you need to swap every one, probably not. But, you are going to be at a point that you might as well to make sure that you have all the wiring that you need. The only harness that you probably will not need to swap is the engine harness. But, you may even need to do that to get the wiring for the self leveling sensors.

I wish the answer was easier, but that is the short of the story.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jaguarx-type. not to ask the silly question, but why are you going about this the hard way. Wouldn't it be easier to swap the motors than to swap the rest of the car? The hardest part of swapping the motors is getting something that you can pick the front end of the car up off the ground (say 3 feet) so you can slide the motor out the bottom. This can be done with nothing more than a simple come-along and the rafters in your garage. Worst case, a high lift jack and a few wood blocks.

From what you are describing, you are going to be essentially transferring over all of the wiring harnesses to do what you are after. Do you need to swap every one, probably not. But, you are going to be at a point that you might as well to make sure that you have all the wiring that you need. The only harness that you probably will not need to swap is the engine harness. But, you may even need to do that to get the wiring for the self leveling sensors.

I wish the answer was easier, but that is the short of the story.
The short answer is that doing it this way I can do everything myself with the tools and supplies I already have. I don’t have a problem swapping all the harnesses over but I wanted to make sure that the harnesses aren’t keyed to the car or something to give me problems if I swap them over. The whole project is only going to take a couple weeks so not a big deal.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Wish you luck. The harnesses are not keyed, but the computers have a certain amount of cross talk that they do. So, there can be potential problems there. But, if you are keeping the computers with the car, then that isn't an issue. The only other potential I see is activating some of the new features you are after. The radio is not a problem. The headlights leveling themselves may be a little bit of an issue as you will need to get into the system to enable the data lines (CAN bus) to start talking with the leveling module. I cannot say for sure if it will automatically come up or not.

The other potential I see is depending on where you live, you may want the radio code too. In the US, not an issue as this feature is turned off. In other countries, this is enabled and it may require you to put in a 4 digit code to activate the radio once it has lost power for a period of time. Yo ucan get the code from Jaguar, but you have to show proof of ownership (ie, title/registration for the car) before they will give you the number (it is a free service though).

Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Wish you luck. The harnesses are not keyed, but the computers have a certain amount of cross talk that they do. So, there can be potential problems there. But, if you are keeping the computers with the car, then that isn't an issue. The only other potential I see is activating some of the new features you are after. The radio is not a problem. The headlights leveling themselves may be a little bit of an issue as you will need to get into the system to enable the data lines (CAN bus) to start talking with the leveling module. I cannot say for sure if it will automatically come up or not.

The other potential I see is depending on where you live, you may want the radio code too. In the US, not an issue as this feature is turned off. In other countries, this is enabled and it may require you to put in a 4 digit code to activate the radio once it has lost power for a period of time. Yo ucan get the code from Jaguar, but you have to show proof of ownership (ie, title/registration for the car) before they will give you the number (it is a free service though).
I have moved over the cabin harness which is pretty much 80% of the interior wires. I am going to swap over the instrument/stereo harness tomorrow. Should I move the can bus unit over to the other car as well or would that cause problems? The parts car has the stereo with amp and extra speakers as well as parking sensors (which I don't intend on using) so I thought it might be best to move everything over so that the computer doesn't even know it is in another cars. My only concern is if the VIN is stored in there because of the OBD plug is part of the dash harness.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 AM

all of the modules in the car have the original vin number programed into them, you can move them over and they will work but report the wrong vin when interrogated by computer

the speedo+engine ecu form part of the security system and would need to be reprogrammed to the key transponder (not the 4 button fob)

if you have access to the JLR software then nothing is a problem.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM

All swapped over and working great. I am sure I will have to take it in to remove the check engine light with the new info the computer is getting now but it all works.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 AM

Everything is now complete. The options I added from the parts car to my car were the heated and memory seats, Alpine stereo with amp, homelink, carbon/alcantara interior and rear parking sensors which I am not using because I think they look terrible on the back bumper. All the wiring harness is moved over and now problems whatsoever. No warning lights or anything. This was an easy project but took a while as well as a full color change on the car. Why I did it, I don’t know but it sure looks good.

Last edited by jaguarx-type; 08-13-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

nice job
according tp the bumpers, neither car is the sport option

Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by iownme
nice job
according tp the bumpers, neither car is the sport option
Thanks. The parts car is a sport but the front lip spoiler was half missing so I removed it before putting the bumper on my car. I don’t like the the parking sensors so I wasn’t going to use the rear bumper. This left just the side skirts and rear spoiler. I held the side skirts up to my car but without the front and rear bumper lips, they just looked weird. The only thing I used that was the Sport parts is the trunk spoiler.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Now you need to "chrisfix" your Jaguar X as he did to make money. He left some things on too that were worth some $ (i.e. gas tank, fuel pump, sending unit, etc.)

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-14-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, that went down to the bare bones quickly.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Duh

Antome who owns a x type knows before you disconnect the battery. POP THE TRUNK!. Rookie!

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Antome who owns a x type knows before you disconnect the battery. POP THE TRUNK!. Rookie!
I think the wiring had burnt out so was scrapped, he put 12v on it but still did not open the catch. look at the engine loom to see the burnt wiring .

he could have pulled the seat latch while in the trunk to release the rear seat if stuck..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

I thought the sport models had color matched trim on both bumpers and not chrome?

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 09-06-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
I thought the sport models had color matched trim on both bumpers and not chrome?

see posts12 & 13

Old 09-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

And? They both have chrome, yes? Spoiler is not sport specific, just an option.

Quick Reply: Restoration