X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotors and brakes

Hello so would the best option on rotors for my X be these:http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...rue&multi=True

Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I got these a few months back and couldn't be happier. I'm not overly hard on the x's brakes but to me that is track days or autoxing. They get used quite a bit. Even towed 2000lbs with 'em through d.c. without any loss of feel, etc. Don't get me wrong you can't go wrong with EBC but for the price I can replace these at each pad change and still go away cheaper. The pads they come with are motion pads, as with any ceramic pad follow the instructions on bedding them in. These pads alone would cost ya $75 or so. Best part is NO brake dust! While your at it change that fluid! Oh and they were great to deal with on top of it. Mine must have been an early 05 so the rear pads are of the earlier type. Called them on a Friday and they overnighted with Saturday delivery the right set at their dime. Shipping for that must have been $40 at least!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

EBC redstuff pads and drilled / slotted rotors
Check out the X type quick FAQ links for tons of posts on brakes and related info

Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive heard red stuff get used up fast. Also, aren't they more for like racing cars or track users? In contrast of green stuff? Green stuff is for everyday commuter... Anybody ever get both and compare? or anyone know the difference or the best ones?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I believe yellowstuff is their "track pad" I was looking into getting th eyellow stuff just for the stopping power. Unfortunately they do give off a lot of break dust and do not las quite as long as one would like. But, I've heard they do perform. I have never used EBC pads so I really couldn't tell you about the redstuff pads other than that they are low dust pads.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 PM

hey thanks guys! I might go for those ebay ones. Looks like a really good deal. Midas quoted me $1300 for 4 new rotors and pads......Not going to do that. The ebay ones look like to good of a deal to be trusted lol

Last edited by Jerry the Jaguar; 05-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
I got these a few months back and couldn't be happier. I'm not overly hard on the x's brakes but to me that is track days or autoxing. They get used quite a bit. Even towed 2000lbs with 'em through d.c. without any loss of feel, etc. Don't get me wrong you can't go wrong with EBC but for the price I can replace these at each pad change and still go away cheaper. The pads they come with are motion pads, as with any ceramic pad follow the instructions on bedding them in. These pads alone would cost ya $75 or so. Best part is NO brake dust! While your at it change that fluid! Oh and they were great to deal with on top of it. Mine must have been an early 05 so the rear pads are of the earlier type. Called them on a Friday and they overnighted with Saturday delivery the right set at their dime. Shipping for that must have been $40 at least!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories
I put the same set up on my 2004 and they have been top notch. I totally agree with benebob. Great deal on these. They work perfect and next to no brake dust.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:34 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Jerry the Jaguar
The ebay ones look like to good of a deal to be trusted lol
You can trust 'em from my experience, even with getting the wrong rear pad sent, I'd still buy from again. For the price I expected them to tell me to go pound sand when I called, instead they went above and beyond what most would consider reasonable.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Alright thanks guys for the help, Im ordering them today! I'll probaly paint the calipers too.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
ud

Alright thanks guys for the help, Im ordering them today! I'll probaly paint the calipers too.
I did as well, they look pretty good in silver, get your ford brake tool and hopefully it will go a little quicker then mine did 6 hours or so. Also it is a very good time to flush out all your old brake fluid.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought these from brakeperformance.com they come w/ free pads or you can do what I did and upgrade to ceramic for $20. I have yet to put them on so I will let you know how it goes...

Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM

I purchased a pair of EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors and a pair of EBC Greenstuff Pads. I still haven't had them put on, I am actually painting the brake pads black with some high temp paint I got from Lowe's the other night to match my set up. I will let you guys know how it goes once I get them installed.

I also went with greenstuff instead of redstuff because I have read and heard from different sources that redstuff wears out faster due to the "track" life it was meant for. As for greenstuff pads last longer because their made for every day commute.

I don't go on tracks nor do I street race, so I figured redstuff would be a expensive long term investment due to the constant fast wear.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Just to play the devils advocate, are you guys worried at all about cracking since the rotors are drilled?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Just to play the devils advocate, are you guys worried at all about cracking since the rotors are drilled?
I'm not as I gave up my nomex suit. I would never want to put them on a car that didn't come with them from factory for racing though. I actually managed to "weld" a caliper to the pivot bolt on a rear brake on my SVX about 4 years ago. By the time we got the car back to the pits the solid rotor had cracks in it.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM

The rotors I have are actually slotted rotors, not drilled. I've heard getting drilled rotors that haven't been forged isn't a good idea due to being prone to cracks and only brembo forges they're drilled rotors, which is why they are so expensive!

I couldn't find a pair of drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors from brembo, only the solid rotors.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 AM

So I finally finish painting my brake pads black... Since I got ebc greenstuff brake pads, it won't match my wheel set up I have planned. I purchased some high heat black paint and brushed on two coats of paint. Here are the before and after... Oh ya... the shop I originally had planned to use painted my front ones red so I had to redo those to black.

Before:

(Front)

Name:  IMG_0072.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  49.7 KB

(Rear)
Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  67.4 KB

After:

(Front & Rear)
Name:  IMG_0078.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  56.5 KB

Also, I kind of made a boo boo and dropped the pad while painting and it kind of chipped the corner of one of the front brake pads... Is this chip going to effect the brake in any way?

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  55.9 KB

Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM

So im going to be at risk of cracking my rotors?
I just wont be hard on the brakes...

Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

well I'm not sure how hard you have to use them before they crack because I haven't had any experience with them its just what I've heard. Which is stopping me from buying them, but the price is so good!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM

So what are the torque specifications for the front and rear calipers when putting them back on?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM
ud

So im going to be at risk of cracking my rotors?
I just wont be hard on the brakes...
Technically slotted or drilled or slotted/drilled makes it more prone to cracking no matter if it is forged or not. Then again it also cools the brake quicker then solids so it is much less prone to warping and does offer more bite when needed. There is no perfect solution to the heat issue no matter what you use. Personally, I'd rather have the extra 5 feet or so an average slotted/drilled rotor offers from 70mph and have to replace them and the pads a little more often but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Rotors and brakes