X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running cables to the trunk- best way??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Running cables to the trunk- best way??

Hey guys- I finally have all the pieces I need for to install my new Alpine head unit with wireless Apple car play. I have the steering wheel control kit, rear view camera, Amplifier etc. Now I need find the best way to run the cables from the head- unit to the new amplifier, which will also go in the trunk. In the same spot as the OEM amp, actually.

What pieces of the interior need to come out? Where should I run the cables thru-

any advise greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi only advice I can give is to put the wires under the internal sills, search for how to remove the plastic capping though so you don't break them. as they are expensive to buy new.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Spike, not to ask a silly question, but why not use the factory power wires to the amp? They are the black wires with a red stripe. They are good for 30 amps.

If you need more power than that, then you are going to need to run a new wire from the battery back. Like what DUNKS said, run it under the trim in the door openings and call it a day.

As for places to run it, I would tap off at the fuse box in the engine compartment, run it back to the firewall and find a rubber boot to make a small hole in to slide the wire through (make sure to apply some caulking to get it water tight again) and then run it down behind the kick panel in the driver's footwell area and then under the door sills. Then you can bring it up under the rear seat and run it through the partian for the back seat and behind the trim to the factory amp location. the only trim that you will need to remove is the rear seat, door sills and the driver's kick plate.

If you need more help, let me know.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Thermo, I can't use the factory wiring to connect the new head unit to the factory amp. It's that special proprietary wiring. I have a new amp to replace the factory one.