X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rustproofing and soundproofing - Door lock and glovebox repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Rustproofing and soundproofing - Door lock and glovebox repairs

Found this article in July's Car Mechanics. Shows how to soundproof an X-type and how to rustproof the sills. Also rear door lock and glovebox repairs.

http://www.mjtemple.webspace.virginm...sound_rust.pdf

Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I spray the whole bottom of the car with about an eighth of an inch of the expensive Rustolium bedliner,(about $12 a can) after I pressure wash the underside of the car, and blow off the entire chassis with compressed air.

I also remove the inner wheel wells, and put a thick coat in there, especially on the edges, and where the front wings attach to the superstructure. It takes about 7 cans per car.(p.s.....wear a hat, unless you want the same hairstyle for 10 years) I spray it above the exhaust and drive line also. It removes almost all sound, and if you put another layer of water proof wall to wall carpeting foam cushioning under the factory carpeting, you will feel like you are in a Rolls. No outside noise at all. I often drive without my shoes, it is so comfortable. I did the same thing to my XK8 convertible.

If you need to get bolts off later, a razor blade usually does it. It is tough, and water proof. I also make sure the drains on the bottom of the doors are open, and the leaves and seeds are out of the areas between the hood and trunk weather strips, so they don't retain moisture.

The rubberized undercoating just doesn't last, and allows moisture in. I have kept cars alive for decades using the bed liner method, including a 78 Fiat X/19 (They used to rust in our show room). I think I added about 80 pounds to it, but it lived long enough for 4 reverse gear replacements, in an area, where they heavily salt the roads, and we usually get at least 2 foot of snow at a time.

The wife and I are thinking of moving to Ireland. I lived there for a year, and it seems like heaven on earth. She teaches music in innercity schools, so it would be a nice transition. Plus, I want to get a TVR, before I die. Our daughter already knows a nice Irish boy, so moving her 34 year old self shouldn't be any problem

I figure an X Type, a Jeep Cherokee, a Porsche 928S Factory Special, and my XK8 would be very happy there. We just need to find a tiny stone house in the middle of nowhere, with a huge shed for the cars.