X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea foam the "Xtype"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea foam the "Xtype"

hey i wanted to know if anyone has "sea foamed" their x type.
i want to do it but i am not sure how to do it, is the x type fuel injected? it says if its gasoline pour it in the throttle body throat or carburetor and if its fuel injected pour it in through the PCV valve or a main vacuum line.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did a couple weeks ago. Added a pint to a 1/4 tank of gas. Wanted to clean out the cats as best as possible as it had thrown a code. I don't see the advantage to it in a properly running car that has been maintained properly.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Charm, I have seafoamed my engine. What I did was I found a vacuum line that fit into the hole where the brake booster taps into the intake manifold. From there, I put a bolt in the end of the vacuum line. This will allow you to get the car started without tossing any codes (granted, doing this is likely to toss a code or two). You want the vacuum line big enough that it will pull in the seafoam at a decent rate, but you don't want it fast enough that it floods the car out right off the bat. I used about 5 feet of hose so I could have the can in my hand as I sat in the driver's seat.

To apply the seafoam, you will want to get the engine up to temp (10 minutes driving around the block should be good enough). From there, kill the engine, remove the brake booster line, insert your hose and plug it. Restart the engine and rev it up to about 2,000 RPM. Pop the plug out, immediately stick the hose into the can of seafoam. The car is going to want to die. Step on the gas to keep the engine running. Once you have sucked in about 1/3 of the can, let the engine die/turn off the engine. Let the engine suck in more of the seafoam. Once things have stabilized, replug the vacuum line and let the car sit for about 5 minutes. You may have noticed the car starting to smoke. This is normal.

After letting the car sit for 5 minutes or so, restart the engine (may be a bit hard to since you flooded it out), get the RPMs up again, remove the plug and suck down the rest of the can. once the can is empty, remove the vacuum line and plug it. You should be having tons of smoke come pouring out the exhaust. This is normal. Get out of the car, remove the vacuum line and reinstall the brake booster line. Put the car in Drive and go for a spin. Doing some higher RPM runs (ie, keep the car in 2nd gear and get the RPMs up to 4,000-5,000 RPM momentarily). This will help heat up the cats and get ride of a lot of the carbon build up there. After about 5-10 minutes of driving, the amount of smoke should be very little/non-existant. All is done.

As you have seen me note, the car is going to smoke. It is going to look like one of those cars that you have seen where the tranny is about to die, but about 10 times as bad. SHE IS GOING TO SMOKE!!!!!!!! So, doing this away from where people live is highly recommended.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM

ok sweet thats pretty detailed i love it thanks.
i feel really dumb for asking this but where is the brake booster?
i really dont have much clue on thing under the hood.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Charm, open the hood and look to your right, just in front of the windshield. You will see a big black cylinder on the firewall. It will have a clear container sticking out of the front of it. If you look to the left of it, you will see a 1/4" hard plastic hose running between the booster and the intake manifold. You want to disconnect this hose at the intake manifold. From there, insert your new temp hose and follow what I wrote about above.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Incase Thermo wasn't clear THERE WILL BE SMOKE, tons of smoke, you don't want to do this in your driveway if you live anywhere near a residential area.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Incase Thermo wasn't clear THERE WILL BE SMOKE, tons of smoke
No understatement - We are talking neighbours calling the fire department as they think there is a house on fire.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

sweet thanks so much Thermo!!
I now need to find a place where no one will think any houses are burning down lol.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Incase Thermo wasn't clear THERE WILL BE SMOKE, tons of smoke, you don't want to do this in your driveway if you live anywhere near a residential area.
Originally Posted by RobGardnerBlack
No understatement - We are talking neighbours calling the fire department as they think there is a house on fire.
- Umm - whatsay ye again are the magical benefits of seafoame that makey so much neighborly-panic-inducing and potential fire-department-false-report-fine-inducing behavior a worthwhile endeavor?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

Im interested in this also but I have a few concerns.
1.Will the motor run hotter, risking damage to seals, rings, gaskets, etc.
2. Do you put the whole amount into the intake? I read that you put some in the intake, some in the gas tank, and some in the crankcase?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

rhriczko, seafoam can be used in many places. All that you mention it can be used in. The big thing is not to go overboard in the oil. Adding extra to the gas really won't do any extra benefit unless you have really bad injectors or something like that. But then, if that is the case, there are better products out there for something like that.

As for the seafoam hurting the engine, I have done this to many vehicles and they are all still on the road. As long as you are not letting the car suck the can down in a few seconds, which could lead to hydrolocking the engine worst case, you are not going to see any real temperature changes. You may see the cats run a little warmer, but that is because the seafoam is actually burning off inside the cats, putting more heat there. But, you are not doing it long enough and at a fast enough rate to hurt the cats. Besides, the cats in our cars are essentially a ceramic brick with a coating on it. If you hurt the cat this way, then you did something drastically wrong or it was already bad and you simply are exposing the problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
- Umm - whatsay ye again are the magical benefits of seafoame that makey so much neighborly-panic-inducing and potential fire-department-false-report-fine-inducing behavior a worthwhile endeavor?
I used Seafoam on all my outdoor equipment - lawn mower, tractor, motorcycle and yes, my vehicles. What I noticed after using it is smoother idle and increase in fuel economy. This was most obvious on the outdoor equipment. YMMV and etc, etc,..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol ya I did my cts on my driveway, I didn't think there would be as much smoke as there was, it was epic... My neighbor ran across the street because he thought my car blew up... He didn't care about the smoke he was worried for the car lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM

LOL!!! At least you know your neighbor keeps his eye on your car. You will know your car is safe with him watching it.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya he's a big car guy too...as soon as I showed him the seafoam he was relieved... He said he doesn't care if I smoke out the whole neighborhood, as long as my car was fine hahah.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. I think this will be the next thing I do when Im bored. Sounds like a worth while investment.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thermo is it possible to do it through the pcv/breather hose instead of the brake booster line? Just seems it might be easier because of the wider hole.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

Fear, you want to limit how fast the seafoam makes it into the engine. You want it to go in at a controlled rate, not so fast that you hydro-lock the engine. A 1/4" hose is about all the bigger you want to go. But, if you reduce down the breather hose, then sure, you can use that port too. But, the brake booster hose is right on top of the intake and is really easy to access.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I just put some seafoam in my car because it's seeming a little sluggish and I saw a lot of oil residue in the intake plenum when I was changing the spark plugs a while back. Getting it into the intake is tricky but I have the perfect system with no need for a hose or funnel. You remove the booster hose and plug the hole it with your finger as fast as you can so the engine doesn't shut off. Then get your bottle of sea foam and get it ready to pour, you kind of have to angle it from the drivers side. It helps if the bottle isn't full. Then you remove your finger from the hole as you begin to pour. If you time it well the vacuum begins drawing in the sea foam at the perfect rate and you just slowly pour a steady stream, then cover the hole back up with your finger, then transfer the hose back onto the hole and your good to go. It took a little practice of spilling a little but once you get the hang of it it's not too hard. The rest I added to my oil (hoping to try to get rid of a rattly noise my engine is making and clean out the oil system since I am about to do an oil change and I don't know how well the previous owner kept up the oil. Then I put a couple ounces in the gas tank and have a little left to add to the gas when I fill it up next. I was using the cheap gas for a couple weeks when I first got my car so there may be some gunk in there.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow, after the seafoam treatment today I took the car out for a ride. It's doing a lot better. It's really purring now. Still has a little lag, but the idle is a lot smoother and it feels like it just got a tune up. Also not making as many rattling noises in the engine. I am going to change the oil in a couple days for the first time since I got it. I just put some of that sea foam in the oil so I'm going to let that do it's thing for a while then drain it all out and put new oil in. Excited to see the results with new oil. I am pretty sure the car dealership just used whatever regular oil they had around.

Quick Reply: Sea foam the "Xtype"