Sponsored by:

shake...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shake...

i feel a slight shake when i press my brake pedel
i no i dont need new brakes bc they were changed fairly recently
i no my car needs an alignment....... could that just be the prob or maybe i need my rotors machined?!? any ideas?
i do have an apt to get an alignment done on fri so i hope that solves the prob

Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are feeling a vibration in your steering wheel when you press the brake, I would say it's most likely a warped rotor.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds like you've eliminated lots of possibilities already. The alignment could help if they find any worn steering components. Has the problem surfaced just since the new pads were fitted?

If so, take the car out, in a safe place, then do a couple of aggressive stops from about 40mph. You don't have to kick in the ABS, but aggressive enough to get the pads hot. See if that doesn't temporarily solve the problem.

If it does, the problem is resin leaching from the pads onto the discs. This resin deposits itself on the discs, always unevenly causing the chattering feeling when stopping gradually. This is often misdiagnosed as warped rotors, but rotors almost never warp on a street driven car. In fact, I've only seen warped rotors a couple of times in my lifetime, and they've only been on a track car, not driven on the street.

Solution - This is going to sound kinda funny, but one solution is to change your driving habits and stop more aggressively instead of just cruising to a stop with your foot lightly on the brake pedal. Another solution is to change pad brands. I've found with certain pads (usually the cheaper asbestos ones) the problem is common. Consider switching to a ceramic pad and see if that doesn't solve it for you.

X-Type??

Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the alignment and the shake when i press the brakes is gone...!
the alignment isnt dead on, im a little unhappy, but definately a big improvement in how the vehicle drives now!
i do however still feel a viberation in the steering when i drive anything over 80

also, now there's a weird noise in the front of my car...i dont even no how to explain it.... but it's coming from the driver's side.
i think the place that did my alignment left something loose.. im taking it back to them tomorrow