X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy this 2005 x type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy this 2005 x type?

2005 Jaguar X-type - Manual - Low Miles I called the guy and he said it has a tiny leak and thinks it is possibly anti freeze, if he doesnt fix it he will sell it for $3000. It looks super clean inside and out the leather doesnt look worn. But its not the 3.0 and i think i would like a little more power. but if its a gem i wouldnt want to pass it up. What do you think?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

There is 1.3 seconds between the 2.5 and 3.0 manuals but then the transfer case does not appreciate regular 0 - 60 and in the UK there are not many roads clear enough to do them anyway.

Is the oil alright and not where the leak is going?

Jaguar X-Type Saloon (01-10) Performance - Facts and Figures | Parkers

Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by santer
There is 1.3 seconds between the 2.5 and 3.0 manuals but then the transfer case does not appreciate regular 0 - 60 and in the UK there are not many roads clear enough to do them anyway.

I too considered a few cheap 2.5's
Every time i see a 2.5 on the road i'm glad i got the 3.0 ;@)
Lol

Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by santer

Im not sure as i havent seen the car in person, I think I need to be patient and wait for a good 3.0 to show up

Old 04-05-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by worldcitizen
Im not sure as i havent seen the car in person, I think I need to be patient and wait for a good 3.0 to show up
Thats exactly what i did... It half killed me to wait for what i really wanted, (black on black, sport, 3.0)
I nearly bought many others i looked at, but a 3 month wait found exactly what i wanted at the right price.
Patience is a virtue!

Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

It's my understanding that all 2005 X-Types imported to the US were 3.0 liter. Perhaps the salvage damage required the trunk lid to be replaced?

If you can get the VIN and enter it here: FordEtis home page you can check how it was originally built.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you are looking for a 3.0 manual they are very rare, especially if you are looking for a 2005. That was the last year they made manuals and they are hard to find, but not impossible. Back when I was looking for my car I wanted a 3.0, the Sport model, the carbon fiber/alcantara interior and the Aruba wheels-at the price I wanted to pay. I wasn't in a hurry and it took me about 6 months to find the right one. The feel between the manual and the automatic is pretty big in my opinion. Feels quicker and is a more satisfying driving experience being able to control the gear you are in. Don't regret at all taking the time. It was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Hope you find just what you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
worldcitizen (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
If you are looking for a 3.0 manual they are very rare, especially if you are looking for a 2005. That was the last year they made manuals and they are hard to find, but not impossible. Back when I was looking for my car I wanted a 3.0, the Sport model, the carbon fiber/alcantara interior and the Aruba wheels-at the price I wanted to pay. I wasn't in a hurry and it took me about 6 months to find the right one. The feel between the manual and the automatic is pretty big in my opinion. Feels quicker and is a more satisfying driving experience being able to control the gear you are in. Don't regret at all taking the time. It was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Hope you find just what you are looking for.
Im just want at least 2001 or newer. and I guess when it comes down to it I shouldnt be too picky about the power. Im mostly drawn to them for their look and the 1 off type of car with a manual shift. plus there luxurious is the engine/transmission strong/reliable? I dont mind doing simple repair work but i cant rebuild an engine haha

Old 04-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Mine was very reliable. I changed the drive train fluids regularly and I never had any issues with the transmission or transfer case. Still had the original clutch in it when I sold it with 160,000 miles on it and it still ran and shifted smoothly. My gut feel from reading all the threads on here for the last 8 years is that the manuals might have had less problems, but I have nothing to back that up with. Plus, there are a lot more automatics than manuals out there too. Basically, you drive like an adult and still have some fun and don't constantly abuse the car and take care of maintenance and it would be pretty reliable. When something does come up there are a lot of friendly helpful people on here willing to help.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Mine was very reliable. I changed the drive train fluids regularly and I never had any issues with the transmission or transfer case. Still had the original clutch in it when I sold it with 160,000 miles on it and it still ran and shifted smoothly. My gut feel froyea it does seem that manual m reading all the threads on here for the last 8 years is that the manuals might have had less problems, but I have nothing to back that up with. Plus, there are a lot more automatics than manuals out there too. Basically, you drive like an adult and still have some fun and don't constantly abuse the car and take care of maintenance and it would be pretty reliable. When something does come up there are a lot of friendly helpful people on here willing to help.
yea it does seem that manual transmissions are usually more reliable in most cars so its a must for me to have it be M/T, plus ive always wanted a unique stick shift car i can show off at local car meets.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

We have owned two 2.5 manuals and one 3 litre automatic....I much prefer the manual ( especially with the revised clutch that Jaguar put in the 2004 (?) and later cars: light, much smoother, silky. The manual 2.5 is a wonderful car with plenty of power for normal use. It is quieter than the automatic and generally just feels better - nothing wrong with the 3 litre automatic except that it would be better as as a manual! By the way, the 2.5 manual that we have is Anthracite (metallic black) with Warm Charcoal (black) leather and Birdseye maple. Beautiful - and in 12 years of daily service it has had just ONE repair: replacement of an 02 sensor.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM

are M/T s types with the v8 rare or not even made?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worldcitizen,

This is a beautiful car. I have one exactly like this, but automatic. I avoided manual. But I am very careful on buying a car with front damage as there could have been a lot of things not sorted properly. Maybe it could be the cause of leaks there. My stance is, take your time, these cars are now appearing on the market. Find one that in your heart you won't feel unease about. I got mine with 122 000kms, full service and was kept by old couple. I never felt I got a bad deal. That is important. If in doubt, don't, because there will be a beautiful deal immediately after you bought this one.

Regards,
Khaye

worldcitizen (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kmdakane
Worldcitizen,

This is a beautiful car. I have one exactly like this, but automatic. I avoided manual. But I am very careful on buying a car with front damage as there could have been a lot of things not sorted properly. Maybe it could be the cause of leaks there. My stance is, take your time, these cars are now appearing on the market. Find one that in your heart you won't feel unease about. I got mine with 122 000kms, full service and was kept by old couple. I never felt I got a bad deal. That is important. If in doubt, don't, because there will be a beautiful deal immediately after you bought this one.

Regards,
Khaye
yea i decided that patience is going to be my friend, plus i kinda have to cus i dont have the money for any car yet But im just worried that i will will regret it because its an impulse thing, and they seem too good to be true. im seeing some that look like a brand new LUXURY car for like $4000 and i cant even find a nice mazda miata for that price haha but i think im still gonna do it as long as they really are reliable, cus other places say they are a huge waste of money and are extremely expensive to fix.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The X-Type "a huge waste of money" and "expensive to fix"? The only people who say that are the ones who are clueless about modern Jaguars, and/or who really know nothing about the X-Type, and/or have some sort of German car infatuation. A well-serviced and well cared-for X-Type is a delight to own and drive, and very reliable. But if you have no money, then buying ANY used car is a gamble. You might want to wait a bit.