X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidemarkers light when brake pedal pressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Ok, well I ordered two of the resistors you suggested because they were like $0.60 each, should be in within the next few days. If one doesn't fix it then two should.

It shouldn't matter where I place the resistors on the system, correct? I was thinking that I could simply put one of these resistors near the left tail light where there is a lot of room. I will attach it to the ground and the wire that feeds the lower intensity of the brake light (the one that is always on at night). That should be the same wire as one that feeds the sidemarkers, right?

If that doesn't result in completely normal operation, then I was going to simply put another resistor right next to the first one, attach it to the same ground wire, and attach the other end of it to the higher intensity feed (the one that lights when you hit the brakes)

Does what I'm thinking of make any sense or am I incorrect here?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Evan, you are correct in your thinking with the lower intensity (running) light. But the actual stop light (higher intensity) is not going to help you at all. You would be better served by putting a resistor for the running lights on the left side and then the second one on the right side. That way each side is being sunk to ground, minimizing any build up of voltage.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks Thermo, the resistors should be in this weekend so I'll get right to work as soon as I get them.

I know you're saying to attach these to the sidemarkers, but where could I permanently mount them if they're on the side of the car? Unless you want me to just test them there and then move them into the "boot" once I confirm that they solve the problem.

Also, I'm going to try and find some of those wiring clips that allow you to splice a wire into the middle of another wire. That should make things easier if I ever want to move them for some reason

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

Evan, do what you can. I was thinking either some longer leads on the resistors or you can mount them so that you remove the side marker lights and then the resistors would be right behind that opening. Whatever works.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM

I have no idea what I did but everything is now working normally again!

I was in the process of splicing a resistor into my left rear sidemarker when a fuse blew and cut the power to all of the parking lights on the left side, including both left sidemarkers, the front left parking light, and the two rear tail lights. I looked it up in the book and replaced the blown fuse (F47 I believe) in the passenger compartment fuse box.

When I went to the back of the car (without any resistor in, mind you) the right tail light was operating what I assume to be normally as it was on dimmer than the left tail light. So I fiddled around a little with the left tail light bulb and it eventually got dimmer too. I hadn't noticed until now that the bulbs were always on at the maximum brightness, which must have been part of the problem.

Now after a bit more fiddling all four bulbs (tail lights and stop lights) were on at the dim setting. I went to the driver seat and first hit the brakes with the lights completely off. To my surprise there was no more backfeeding into the sidemarkers or headlights. Then I tested with the lights on and was also surprised to find that there was no more backfeeding to the third brake light. In other words, my car is now operating completely normally.

I suspect the issue is with the pins on the LED bulbs. They must lack quality control standards because what seemed to solve the issue was turning the bulbs slightly after they were in what seemed to be the correct position. Compared to the standard bulbs, they are much more difficult to seat properly. However, it seems that it's only these dual intensity LEDs that are difficult, as all of the other single intensity bulbs were a simple plug and play.

Since I was having such great luck with this, I also decided to attempt replacing my map lights with LEDs. I had tried this when I did the rest of the interior but I could never get those to work. This time I just spread the leads out as others have suggested and each bulb worked the first time!

It's some kind of Jaguar LED lighting Christmas miracle!

Thanks for all the help Thermo, it was fun meeting up with another enthusiast when you were in Rochester. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Evan, good to hear things are working out for you. You stay safe and enjoy your christmas time too.