X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And so it begins ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default And so it begins ...

So first repairs accomplished today - thanks in a large part to the friendly helpful folks on this board :-)

Replaced the Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor - *only* took me ... 5 hours? Of course ... I was also helping my buddy work on his MR2 ... and my son work on his ... MR2 ... (sense a theme here?). The position of that sensor is a chrome plated bitch - every angle is bad ... access is bad ... ugh.

Cleared the codes - we'll hopefully not see that reoccur.

Pulled one plug just to spot check - turns out that I should plan to replace them even though the car runs perfect - the plug had a gap of about .062+.

Need a new air filter element - not disgusting but not clean.

Changed my oil - went to change the filter ... holy crap! I have at last 5 filter wrenches - of course NONE of them fit - what does everybody here use for that? Normal end cap cup type is like 8 sided - the Jag filter on there had flutes :-)

Also checked the ABS ring on the left rear that was throwing a code looked fine as much as I could see - a little rusty but not wiped out. Sensor lead looked fine ... (note to self - outer pad on that brake looked quite thin while inner pad looked meaty - service of those coming up.

Hope everybody else's weekend repairs are going well.

Not sure I'm ready to tackle that accessory belt tensioner tomorrow - for some weird reason, my beloved wife thinks perhaps I should work on house stuff ... who can understand women?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-03-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you, got further then I did! I had to do the wifes radiator first but then I only got into my left rear brakes. IT's BAD!!! Spent hours on a seized caliper mounting bolt, needed to wrap it up for the night. I am going to post about it soon, you have to see the caliper!

Attached Thumbnails And so it begins ...-rustycaliper.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Eek! That's bad... but I've seen so many ones like in the past. I'd just replace that with a rebuilt one if you can - cheaper in terms of time :-)

Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

My weekend repairs started on like, Thursday haha. But I took my intake off, did a little, ok a lot, of grinding and polishing on the inside and some, not as much as I wanted, on the outside to smooth some parts out and then painted it since it looked ugly. Did all that because I needed to change the plugs and had to take the intake off anyway ha. New PVC valve and hose, new o rings and gaskets for the intake manifold too. Runs ever better now. I also need to do my belt tomorrow ha, but also don't really feel like it haha. For oil filters I've always used a belt, I've been using one I've had from the marines since, well since I was active haha. I was a mech and that was the best tool for getting big hydraulic filters off.

oh and mr2s are awesome, my buddy had one and even to this day we talk about how stupid he is for getting rid of it. Actually, literally today we were talking about it haha. He wants to get an MRS soon.

jimborino (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 AM

So - the good news is the O2 sensor code has stayed away - success!

The bad news is the 1165 ABS sensor code still comes and goes ... so I need to get that sorted.

Justinink201 - Thanks for the feedback - I have a strap wrench but it's obviously the wrong type - I think I know the type you're referring too - I'll look online for it. Also - where did you buy your intake manifold O-Rings and gaskets?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Well I was talking about an actual belt that I wore with my cami trousers haha. For my cars I always get k&n oil filters, they have a nut on the end so I never have a problem taking them off.

I got the gaskets from www.gaudinjaguarparts.com they have good prices and helpful employees. I'll be ordering parts from them again for sure when I need official jag parts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Justink201:
jimborino (05-20-2014), Usmc_Kak (05-21-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

So - for all 2 or so of you who are following my Jag newbie tale ... :-)

Took the car into NJ State inspection - and what turns on while I'm driving there but the check engine light. "We" are NOT amused

So it fails for that ... and I can no longer get my fuel door to pop open unassisted, but a couple of threads on here will help me fix that.

When I got home, I throw my OBD reader on and got codes:
p1165
p1111
p1165.

good news is that my Denso O2 sensor replacement appears to be happy (the one I took out was also a Denso ...)

Interesting - I know the p1111 means that all checks have completed and all cycles are currently valid ... but why did I get the other code ... twice?

Weird.

I've subscribed to a number of helpful threads on ABS related problems - looks like I'll have to dig deeper.

It's nice to be on a board that is high in civility AND help ... I've been on enough car boards to know that they are *not* all like that. My mr2oc.com board is (mostly) similarly helpful ... perhaps a bit less ... umm ... civilized ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by jimborino:
JimC64 (08-03-2014), Usmc_Kak (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jimborino
So - for all 2 or so of you who are following my Jag newbie tale ... :-)

Took the car into NJ State inspection - and what turns on while I'm driving there but the check engine light. "We" are NOT amused

So it fails for that ... and I can no longer get my fuel door to pop open unassisted, but a couple of threads on here will help me fix that.

When I got home, I throw my OBD reader on and got codes:
p1165
p1111
p1165.

good news is that my Denso O2 sensor replacement appears to be happy (the one I took out was also a Denso ...)

Interesting - I know the p1111 means that all checks have completed and all cycles are currently valid ... but why did I get the other code ... twice?

Weird.

I've subscribed to a number of helpful threads on ABS related problems - looks like I'll have to dig deeper.

It's nice to be on a board that is high in civility AND help ... I've been on enough car boards to know that they are *not* all like that. My mr2oc.com board is (mostly) similarly helpful ... perhaps a bit less ... umm ... civilized ;-)

Im working on the 1165 and 1175 codes for the ABS light and check engine light. For me i discovered it was the speed sensor rings. I just ordered 2 from ebay for $18.

here is the post about the issue. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lacement-1982/

There is an easier way to check if its the ring though.

Take the wheel off. You might not even need too)
Look from the rear of the vehical, behind the rear wheel hub
you should see the ABS sensor, mine had a torx bolt holding it in
If you pull it, you can use a flashlight to see if the speed sensor ring is still there.

Seems to be a common issue. I will tell you this weekend how easy it is to replace. Yours might just be a dirty sensor though. Clean it and re-install see if it works.

oh and 50% of the time I go to Jersey to gas up i get an 02 sensor code from one of my cars! Its always because some guy didn't close the gas cap tight enough!

jimborino (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Cool - I just found that ABS link yesterday - very good!

Good luck on your fixes this weekend - I'll be doing gardening demolition / construction for my beloved :-)

Also - funny you mention the gas cap cuz ... I can no longer get my fuel filler door open - but I have leads on that as well, so ...

... and yet I *still* love this car

Usmc_Kak (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Ya good luck this weekend, I hope we have good weather!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Usmc_Kak
Ya good luck this weekend, I hope we have good weather!
Well - mixed bag so far :-)

My son and I performed repairs in the rain yesterday late afternoon - he held up the umbrella and I changed out the engine air filter and cabin filter - it only took about a grand total of 10 minutes - RESULT

Today ... this gardening stuff is KILLING me. A rented sod cutter had a screwed up adjuster ... that took an hour or so to sort (never having USED a sod cutter before made it *just* that much more challenging!.

We just replaced the other rear tire on my son's MR2 - now he has two brand new ones on the back. Hooray for having your own tire changing machine ... boo for tires seemingly welded to the rim from old age or something.

Hope your weekend is going well and being productive for you. If we're lucky ... we'll both / all get to chill tomorrow!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM

So - further progress - the accessory belt tension idler was noisy, so I ordered one from Amazon (
Amazon.com: Gates 38279 Belt Tensioner: Automotive Amazon.com: Gates 38279 Belt Tensioner: Automotive
)

... and working through the passenger wheel well, used a 3/8" Crafstman breaker bar and a 13" section of pipe that would slip over the handle, I managed to take tension off the belt so that it could be removed.

The idler assembly came out no problem at all after that. Took about 2 hours (I am *not* fast) :-)

Spark plugs / intake / plenum / valve cover gaskets prolly next.

Managed to program my new-to-me keyfob for my second key as well.

This board ROCKS :-)

Last edited by jimborino; 07-25-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added pic
JimC64 (08-03-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jimborino

Managed to program my new-to-me keyfob for my second key as well.
How?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 PM
jimborino (06-17-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Default New shoes and some new fluid ...

Last weekend - sagging headliner passenger rear sorted with 3M headliner spray adhesive - while I was at it, I pulled out both the A and C pillars and gently pulled away the material that was loose all the way back until where it was firmly attached, then did 3 applications of the headliner glue (per the instructions) to each and reattached the fabric.

All but one went on ok - this is a contact adhesive so you really only get one shot - and the material flipped over to attach to the pillar piece and I had not carefully set it in place yet - some quiet cursing and a bit of tugging and rubbing and it came out ok - a couple of tiny folds on the edges where they can't be seen - but it still looks *much* better than it did before. Now I want to clean some dirt out of the material - I'll consult my wife, the cleaning expert :-)

This week I got a bubble on my Continental ContactPro left front (note to self: do NOT adjust the radio while making a low speed left turn. Curbs BITE! :-P). The rest of the tires were pretty worn, so after research, replaced them today with 4 brand new Continental PureContact Eco 3's from TireRack. Reasonable-ish price and great reviews and test results on Tirerack.com.

While I was at it I gave the wheels another good scrubbing - they look nice.

Also drained (as much as possible) out of transfer case using the "tilt the car one way to drain and the other way to fill" method. What came out was actually pretty decent looking (75k miles), but there was a modest amount of tiny metal shavings on the plug. Cleaned that, and managed to fill about 220 ML of fluid before it came draining back out the hole.

Pleased with the accomplishment!

Oh - and two weeks ago I fixed the ABS code (right rear) by replacing that sensor, and after cleared all the codes from the ECU. After driving it about 350 miles worth of commuting with a TON of stop / start cycles and STILL showing the P1000 code - it FINALLY completed all the tests and gave me the P1111 code. Seeing as how it had failed inspection for a check engine light, and that I'd been driving around with an expired inspection sticker since the end of June - I immediately took it to inspection and it PASSED! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by jimborino; 07-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.
JimC64 (08-03-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Great news (passing the inspection). Way to go.

jimborino (07-21-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 PM

A couple more things today (just recovering from a nasty sinus infection that laid me low for A WEEK :-()

Replaced the water pump tensioner assembly ... *note to self* - tighten that bolt until "snug". Not tight. Tight stretched the bolt, which then snapped when I was pulling it back out because it felt "funny". Fortunately the broken part was protruding from the block and could be removed with fingers. Also fortunately I had a compatible bolt in my "bodge box" :-).

All your pulleys are belong us now.

Also changed the oil - Castrol Max Full Synthetic 5w-30 and a K&N oil filter.

This weeks tip - this tool is the best oil filter removal ... tool ... I've found for the X-Type's stupid-***-hard-to-fit filter:
Lisle 3" (78mm) Universal Oil Filter Wrench p/n 53400 (Harbor Freight carries it in theirtool section).

Last edited by jimborino; 08-03-2014 at 10:14 PM.
PanamaJag (08-03-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 PM

One step forward, one step back.

Good news is that the spark plugs and the upper plenum gaskets have been successfully replaced with no real problems (note to self - remember to removed the paper towels protecting the intake runners *before* getting almost everything reassembled :-P).

I'd like to say that the car runs great now ... but I don't know. It certainly idles and revs fine but ... test drive is not in the cards because ...

... I decided to change the rear pads because they were *very* thin. Long story short - frozen drivers rear caliper so ... car is a three wheeler at the moment - new (both) rear calipers ordered locally - hopefully they'll get delivered tomorrow while I'm working from home)

<sigh>

Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Got one of my rears done today! That piston is just a JOY to turn back in, isn't it! Looks like the last mechanic to change the brakes on this car only changed the pads, and never screwed then back, so my rotors were nice and crisp on the outside, and worn on the back.

I'll bet some new, clean calipers make the rest of your job go easier!

Keep up the reports, you're keeping me motivated!

jimborino (09-08-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Justink201
Well I was talking about an actual belt that I wore with my cami trousers haha. For my cars I always get k&n oil filters, they have a nut on the end so I never have a problem taking them off.

I got the gaskets from www.gaudinjaguarparts.com they have good prices and helpful employees. I'll be ordering parts from them again for sure when I need official jag parts.
They are awesome for parts. I live here in Vegas and they are great to deal with in person too. I've given them a lot of money over the years.

Quick Reply: And so it begins ...