Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons

Greetings from this newcomer.

I have previously owned XJ6's and XJ-12, but none newer than '94. This forum has been superb helping me many times on many topics. But so much so, this is the first time I've needed to actually post.

Now shopping, and have seen a 2003 X-Type, seller not present. I am unfamiliar with X-Type, but imagine that something would jump out at you folks right away, as something seems to have already jumped out from beneath the bonnet, passenger side.

First 5 pix, A-E.

Also, at top center, between engine and firewall, clearly wires are snipped.

Next 3 pix, F-H.

Three substantial, threaded, mounting points are visible.

I hope to identify what's missing so that I can get a sense of what's needed. Remainder of engine and vehicle in notably good condition, to the point of suspicion. Why would missing material be thus removed? Simply theft? Why these components, necessarily?

I'll come back to the big picture but, for starters [no pun intended], what's the obvious piece(s) missing from this puzzle?

Regards,
Carl

Attached Thumbnails Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-img_20170412_185214.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-b-img_20170412_184125.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-c-img_20170412_184122.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-d-img_20170412_184119.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-e-img_20170412_184235.jpg  

Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-f-img_20170412_184200.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-g-img_20170412_184319.jpg   Something missing - but not in the sense of pistons-h-img_20170412_185019.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Who went crazy under the hood with wire cutters? Do you no if it runs?
Anyway to get to your questions:

Picture 1 = Is the engine cover. Here is a link on ebay to show you what it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Jaguar-X-Type-Upper-Engine-Cover-Black-OEM-LKQ-/361935975417?hash=item544510b3f9:g:-AIAAOSwWxNY1RGP&vxp=mtr

Picture 3 is a vacuum line. If you download the free catalog from SNGBARRAT a forum sponsor you will find it on page 40 to see what it looks like.

Picture 4 is the water temperature sensor.

Picture 6 is difficult to identify since I can't see where on the engine it is located. It would also be helpful if the numbers on it could be posted. Then a google search might reveal it purpose.

If you are contemplating buying it, understand it is going to be a bit of a project. That said, with the tech manual, wiring diagrams and the great folks here on the forum it can be fixed.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Hard to tell, but in those last three pictures it looks like something made a nest in there. You would have thought that the person selling it would at least clean up the engine bay a little. Ask if it was sitting for quite a while. I have a feeling the person had some kind of issue that they couldn't fix and let it sit. If that's the case, unless you are prepared to put a lot of time into it or it is basically free keep looking. There are plenty of others out there that run.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Carl, like what Alfa is saying, from what I can see, it looks like a critter got up under the hood and decided it was hungry. This always leads to the question of what else did the little one go after.

With this being said, the one plug (pictures 6 and 7) appears to be the manifold pressure sensor. The wires are not too far away, but you are going to need to reattach the wires. This is where things will get interesting for you. You can dismantle the plug and extend the wiring to make it all work again, but if you mess up the pins in the plug, it is going to be difficult to find the new pins and/or a new plug. There are a few sites on the internet that you can get the plugs, but you need to give them a lot of specific information as a lot of the plugs are keyed so they can only go on in one place.

In picture 4, that line I believe is for the fuel rail pressure regulator. It helps to raise/lower the fuel rail pressure to keep it 50 psi above the intake pressure. Replacing that hose should not be too bad of a job.

Like Alfa said, if you want a project to tinker with, then hopefully you can get the car for cheap. Worst case, you will have to get a new wiring harness for the engine ($200 usd at most recycling yards). Then it is a matter of removing enough of the parts off of the engine to get to all the connectors. This would be a good time to replace the vacuum line too. But, what you are going to find after that, who knows. It would be worthwhile if you have the ability and time and can get the car for cheap. Otherwise, keep looking, lots of X-types out there that are fully functional and you will know what you are getting into.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Apart from the obvious rodent damage (and there may be more as yet unseen), the fact that there is almost no coolant left in the reservoir sets off alarm bells - it may be minor in cause, but if it has been run with insufficient coolant there could be some engine damage. To me this car looks like one that has not only been neglected, but possibly abused. Do not buy this car; there are many much better examples available.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yikes!

I wonder which other wires and hoses that critter chewed into looking for just the right nesting material?

Trying to track down intermittent electrical glitches due to slightly chewed wires would not be any fun.

Whatever you might pay may be too much. Unless they are paying you to take it away, that could be one long nightmare. Any savings in your initial purchase price will be quickly wiped out in getting it all sorted out. If that is even possible.

I say that coming from a similar situation, and it has worked out for me, but I didn't have a rat's nest in the engine compartment.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

From the pictures we can see the car being neglected for a long time! But how is the body and pant? What is the mileage? Is the car start? If you can get it for a good price And wit the labor of love (mean DIY) you can turn it around to be a beautiful car, spend times to search this forum for advice and eBay, some time go to junkyardsfor parts.