X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire item missing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spare tire item missing

Recently purchaseda x type 3.0. 2005. Under the trunk carpet on the left side is a gold colored eye bolt. On the right side is supposed to be something because the plastic is molded for an item but it is missing. Can someone advise me what should be there? Thanks

Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

It's for the key for the locking wheelnuts/lugnuts if you've got them.

If you have the nuts, but not the key, first thing to find out is which key you need. They have a single letter ID. Armed with your VIN, any Jaguar dealer ought to be able to tell you which one you want.

Jaguar will sell you only a full set of 4 nuts and a key for an eye-watering price. You might get one through Ebay, or you might just want to forcibly remove the locking nuts and replace them with standard ones.

The locking key does not have a good reputation for endurance, mainly if it's been subjected to many tyre fitters impact drivers.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:42 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I suspect you have nothing to be concerned about.

Re Astromorg's answer.
I have yet to see any comments on this forum re locking wheel nuts.
Most of the folks posting are in USA so I suspect USA spec is full set of normal lug nuts.

Hopefully you will never need to use the towing eye bolt.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

And if you pull off the horrible two-piece lug nuts and replace them with the Toyota lugs, it makes a bloody convenient place to store the now-necessary larger socket for the new lugs!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I pulled the eye bolt out, gave it a bath in EvapoRust over night, and then buffed it clean, oiled it, wrapped it in plastic and put it back in its place. Then cleaned the places where it screws in, sprayed with white lithium, and fitted a rubber plug.

No idea why I did all that, but..... it is what it is. Now if I could find a way to take the sag out of the big piece that covers the spare tire well.....

Old 12-16-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Now if I could find a way to take the sag out of the big piece that covers the spare tire well.....
I would shape a piece of three ply timber board and put that under your liner.

I do not know what is the normal specification is in the USA.
Do you have a spare wheel fitted, either a full sized or a space saver ?

I would expect a car breakers yard would have a replacement but it would mean a personal visit as sending it would be a challenge re packing.

A really expensive option is to have a solid Jaguar boot liner.
Here in the UK, I have one. It has a tall lip all round and I find it good when I transport household/garden rubbish as any spillage is contained and easily removed.