Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light stay on or is intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRS light stay on or is intermittent

1999 VDP

I had this error for a while - it didnt bother me too much but then I couldnt get a new sticker from the garage unless it was fixed.

Just gonna say be careful when debugging the SRS system and disconnect the battery while working on it.

The SRS light will come on when the resistance of an airbag is measured out of limits. The resistence for an airbag should be around 2 to 4 Ohms when measured at the SRS control module connector. When measuring the airbag resistance, use a decent digital meter which wont supply enough current to activate the bag - and I would stand out of the way while measuring just in case.

If the airbag resistance is too low, say around zero Ohms, then the module will post an error - so jumpering them out doesnt work. If the resistance is too high, like more than 6 Ohms, then the module too will indicate an error. Long story short, all airbag resistances have to be in range or you will see this error.

I disconnected the connector from the SRS module and I measured all my 4 airbags using the schematics as a guide, and I found 2 out of tolerance. Both were the side airbags. I traced those connections to under each seat and I disconnected the connector and checked the airbag resistance there - all was ok - so it was the connector under the seats causing the high resistancve readings.

I cleaned them with some switch cleaner, and plugging-unplugging them some 20 times fixed the readings when measured at the SRS module connector.

Other causes could be - the airbag itself, open/shorted harness wires, or in the case of the steering wheel airbag, then the rotating connections to the airbag.

Good luck...

-d