X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Heated screen but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Standard Heated screen but....

... no button in the usual place? Car is a 2005 3.0 Sovereign with a heated screen fitted but only the DEF button and rear screen heater buttons present.
Surely this would have been standard? The car is a genuine Sovereign model with piped leather and half wood wheel etc but the absence of the front screen heater is strange unless on earlier models it came on with the DEF function?

Thoughts welcome and many thanks. Thoroughly enjoying this car.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum JonK,

A heated front screen on any Jaguar model is the exception rather than the rule. I've had a number of different models at Sovereign specification - some have had a heated front screen and some have not.

Here is the relevant extract from the Owner's Handbook for the 2006MY X-Type describing the operation:

Standard Heated screen but....-heated-screen.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Are you sure you have a heated front screen? The vertical wires are just visible to me but some members complain loudly about them!

Standard Heated screen but....-heated-windscreen.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-02-2017, 06:52 AM

Thanks very much Graham, and for your welcome. It certainly has the visible wires... could well be a replacement screen however and therefore not fitted from standard. I'm just quite surprised as I had a 2004 Sport Premium X Type years ago when they were new and that had the heated screen as standard.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm in the states; my front screen turns on automatically for three minutes at anything below about 5ēC of so; my rear window and mirrors are run by the rear switch.

My front defrost switch turns on everything, but again, the windscreen electrics turn off after three minutes.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM

But do you have a separate front windscreen heater button or like me, just the big DEF defrost button?

Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Actually, now that I've looked at it, I DO have both. the front def button turns on the mirrors, the windscreen, the air defroster, and the rear defroster.

Front heat goes off at three minutes, rear stays on for a while.

Generally, I leave the system on auto, and it pretty much handles it on its own. Once in a while, I'll need to turn on the rear defrost manually.