X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stranded in limp mode

On a long distance visit the 2.2 diesel x type suddenly flashed up the coils icon and went into limp mode.
Hundreds of miles from home and without Haynes manual am wondering whether it is safe to attempt the return journey home.
The handbook just says engine malfunction and the car runs OK albeit with no acceleration and a top speed of 50mph.
Lifting the bonnet cannot see anything obvious and checked the oil level, air filter etc. Reading a previous link bought some redex diesel treatment drove some 20 miles but made no difference.
I'm having trouble equating the suddenness of the limp mode and the absence of any clues to why.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Cheers

Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

solostax, you can drive the car home provided that the check engine light does not start flashing at you. If it does, then pull off as soon as you can.

More information is needed to get to a resolution on this. Getting the codes read on the car will help direct us to a solution. Having the coil icon show up on the instrument cluster leaves a lot of possibilities.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I drove my 2.2 diesel for several weeks in this mode. Drove quite sweet but no power. Finally they sorted out the fault to be a duff engine temp sensor. The other fault I got was the engine cooling fan ran on after stopping.
£28 sensor and £85 to find the fault and fit a new one.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Default Thanks thermo and dunks

As per usual the response on the forum is superb.
Thanks for the tips and suggesting the temp sensor to a mechanic should focus the fault finding which either way means less cost.
For future reference whatever the cause proves to be I'll l post the results.
Long live the spirit of the forum.
Solostax

Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM
Default Restored faith in advertising

On the long journey home after adding diesel cleaner with no instant result I was resigned to a slow and uncomfortable 50mph slog in limp mode.
Driving at 50mph on the motorway was nerve racking so I welcomed a stop at the services for breakfast and stretch the legs.
On restarting the car I was very surprised that the engine malfunction icon didn't appear. Fully expecting it to cut in at any moment I cautiously continued my journey home at normal speeds without further problems.
The mileage after I had zeroed the trip meter when adding the diesel treatment and filling up, to my motorway stop was 53.
A previous stop and restart at 20 miles had no change from limp mode, but as the car only cleared once stopped then restarted at 53, I wonder at what mileage it actually cleared. The point I raise is that on a full tank I could theoretically have driven 600 miles and never had known that the fault had cleared.
By coincidence, it was my birthday yesterday so the sudden clearing of limp mode was a great present.
Being cynical of most advertising hype I would humbly apologise for doubting the miracle claims accompanying such products as the Reddex additive.