Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange knocking at idle - Video w/ sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Strange knocking at idle - Video w/ sound

Hey everyone!

It has been a while since I have actually had to post a question on here because I can usually find an answer buried deep in these forums. But this time my 04 X Type 3.0 has me stumped. This X has 70K miles on it and started making a strange knocking sound around 500 miles ago. Here is a list of what I observed:

-Car is at normal operating temp
-Car is at idle
-Only makes noise in Reverse or Drive when steering wheel is turned
-Giving it throttle while it makes noise causes the noise to go away
-It is hard to tell but noise seems to come from the passenger side of the engine bay
-If steering wheel is not turned then NO noise

CLICK TO SEE VIDEO: https://flic.kr/p/rTHSVa

I haven't heard X Types make this sound with bad power steering pumps before (they usually whine). The car has new spark plugs, Intake Manifold gaskets, IMT gaskets, and is serviced regularly at 4K miles. I would really appreciate it if someone could chime in and help because it can be embarrassing making turns and the car sounds like a diesel engine! (no offense Diesel X Type owners )

Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it possible you have a hole in your exhaust near the header or in the header? Not sure if you have a full new exhaust and header or still stock. Sounds like an exhaust leak from the header to me.............only because I remember hearing a similar sound on my brothers '73 Dodge Powerwagon years ago and the header pipe had a hole from heat and wear. That's my shot in the dark.

The following users liked this post:
aCapiz (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:43 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ugotmale
Is it possible you have a hole in your exhaust near the header or in the header? Not sure if you have a full new exhaust and header or still stock. Sounds like an exhaust leak from the header to me.............only because I remember hearing a similar sound on my brothers '73 Dodge Powerwagon years ago and the header pipe had a hole from heat and wear. That's my shot in the dark.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look at the exhaust manifolds carefully tomorrow. The X type that is giving me troubles has a full stock exhaust. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help because I don't even know where to begin looking quite honestly!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Since the noise appears to be associated with moving the steering wheel you could
try this test: remove accessory drive belt. If the problem is with the power steering
pump, the AC, the alternator or any of the idler pulleys then the problem will go
away. That will also give you the opportunity to feel the bearings in those devices.

Pete.

The following users liked this post:
aCapiz (04-03-2015)