X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut Replacement. Huge deal??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strut Replacement. Huge deal??

I put Bilstein B6 shocks on my 04 X-Type late last fall and just had the B6 struts delivered to my house today.

Not going to try this myself because someone with a lift, air-tools, a roof can likely take care of it much easier than I can.

Thing is, I took it down to my local guy and asked if he'd do it and how expensive it might be. Naturally, because it has a Leaper on the hood it immediately goes from being an automobile to the Space Shuttle to most. My thinking is that a strut is a strut is a strut. Maybe I'm wrong and installing new struts is in the same league as spinning plates, but I doubt it.

Anyone have any idea how big a deal this might be?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dave

Old 06-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncan2004
I put Bilstein B6 shocks on my 04 X-Type late last fall and just had the B6 struts delivered to my house today.

Not going to try this myself because someone with a lift, air-tools, a roof can likely take care of it much easier than I can.

Thing is, I took it down to my local guy and asked if he'd do it and how expensive it might be. Naturally, because it has a Leaper on the hood it immediately goes from being an automobile to the Space Shuttle to most. My thinking is that a strut is a strut is a strut. Maybe I'm wrong and installing new struts is in the same league as spinning plates, but I doubt it.

Anyone have any idea how big a deal this might be?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dave
Nothing special, took me about an hour each in my driveway with limited tools and knowledge.
Its not an "easy" job and im in no rush to do it again.. Lol

The following users liked this post:
Duncan2004 (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If all goes well it's not too big of a deal. However depending on the level of rust and other factors if things don't go as planned it can quickly become a PITA. There are several threads on here about it so search them and decide for yourself. I would also change the springs and mounts while you're there.

Also, it is possible to change them without lowering the subframe.

Duncan2004 (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
If all goes well it's not too big of a deal. However depending on the level of rust and other factors if things don't go as planned it can quickly become a PITA. There are several threads on here about it so search them and decide for yourself. I would also change the springs and mounts while you're there.

Also, it is possible to change them without lowering the subframe.
+1
I did not lower the subframe.. I wrote up here how i did it step by step

Duncan2004 (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all. Took it back yesterday, guy looked under it, looked at the struts and I'll be bringing it in on Tuesday. Just seems that the name alone makes many wary.