X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

subwoofer installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default subwoofer installation

I have a kenwood ksc-wd250 that comes with a built in amp and wanted to install it in my x. I need to know if I need a RCA convertor to connect to my factory radio or not. Thanks on advanced.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you do. I just installed my subwoofers and had to purchase an rca converter. I have the wire schematics in my car if you need to know which wires you want to tap into. By the way, getting the amp, power cable through the firewall is a pain in the ***, especially if you have the 4awg cable.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 AM

Is there anyway you can upload those schematics unto here? Also, how do u remove the radio? Did you follow some guide? Also, what is the exact name of the RCA convertor?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You will find instructions to install a Kenwood powered sub on my blog - scroll about halfway down the page.

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/ChrisX/

Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can unplug the stock subwoofer harness and attach your rca converter right there. The power cable will have to come from the battery even though many people sware there is adequate power in the trunk (I can't find it - tore everything out) - As far as getting thru the firewall if you go under the drivers side there is a plundger you can pry off with patience. From there you can madify to fit the amplifier power cable and push it thru. You should come thru just under the brake booster under the hood.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
ud

the connector in the trunk is there.. behind where the CD changer goes. It is the connector for accessories... 30 amp supply direct from battery.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The connector is in the trunk on the drivers side. Remove the carpet and you'll see it, the connector is a 3 pronger. Fuse box in engine bay needs a relay for the acc wire at that connector in the trunk. It shouldn't be used unless you have a hitch.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 AM

Awesome blog Chris X, very detailed and helpful.

I don't have any wires to this subwoofer. So I found the speaker/input power cable online, http://www.partstore.com/Model/Kenwo.../KSCWD250.aspx for $19.

I was told that I can get a sub bass control knob such as this one,

and that it wasn't necessary to get that $100+ remote.

So other than the power/speaker input cable and the remote for the bass, what else do I need?

What type of RCA converter do I need? How do I find such thing?

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Well, my amplified sub box came with speaker line level inputs instead of RCA's. So I just spliced them into the rear speaker leads as described in the blog, since i have the base factory radio and no dedicated woofer output. So if you get that converter you'll be set.

My unit came with a hardwired controller, which I mounted on the side of the tranny tunnel on the driver side, so it is out of the way but easy to reach.

The model in your link looks very similar to mine - why didn't it come with all the parts?? $100 for a controller is crazy, since the unit isn't much more expensive.....what type of output do you have for a remote - that will determine what type of connector you need for the sub controller in your picture.

Mounting is easy, mine is in the upper right hand side of the trunk, tight up against the back seat.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That level control can come in very handy - I always thought you had to buy a sub with one of those - nice find!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

How come it didn't come with all the stuff that is needed to get the thing running as ChrisX asked?

If you end up spending anywhere near $100 for all the stuff to get that kit working you can find other kits that come with everything but the power wires for not too much more. If you find one that has less than a 30amp fuse you can use the power in the trunk and wouldn't hardly need any power wire to hook it up. MTX made a nice kit that had the speaker level inputs directly on the amp (most of those kits have them actually.) Both best buy and fry's electronics carry Fusion car audio stuff and I know that fry's has a 10" and 12" bass tube package that includes the bass knob, all power wires and and speaker level inputs (has everything needed to complete the job.)

Is the kenwood set new/used?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Yes it is used, long story short, some guy owes my brother some money so he gave him the speaker and said he couldn't find any of the wires.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S5iKlZ6...KSC-WD250.html

That's the powered subwoofer.

So your telling me that if I use the power harness that I don't need to buy the RCA converter? Or do I need both? The RCA and the speaker/power input cable? Also, how do I find the right RCA converter for my jaguar?

Sorry I am a super noob when it comes to car audio.

Appreciate the quick responses.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

The speaker level inputs (which come with your sub when new which is one of the things he couldn't find) connect to your speaker wires and internally convert the sound coming from the speaker wires into signal (they substitute rca's for signal.)

I'm not sure how that thing hooks up but I think from what I read on crutchfield you'd just need to buy that connector that you linked to earlier. That connector supplies the power connection and speaker level inputs. I can't believe that they want over $100 for that remote control for it though.

Basically what you need is the thing that was around $19 from that link you supplied (connects the speaker level inputs and power wires) and wires to connect power to the battery (whether you go to the battery or connect into the trunk.) I'd connect into the trunk since the amp only has 2x5amp fuses pulling a total of 10amps, the power in the trunk is rated for 30amp.

If you want to adjust the bass from the front with a knob you'll need one of these...

Keep in mind you could spend well over $50 and this thing might not work...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Basically Aquill1 is right on the money.

speaker line inputs negate the need for RCA's to transmit the signal. Buy the speaker line converter and you got sound.

You can buy a spool of 10 or 12 gauge wire from a parts store and make your own power, ground, and remote wires. Don't hack it up - make nice solder connections with shrink tubing.

The only thing you may need RCA's for is that sub controller doohicky - depends on how the line for the sub controller that should have come with the box was terminated by the other guy.

If he just cut it off, then you'll have to figure a way to splice what's left sticking out into that sub controller thing. Shouldn't be too hard. If it unplugs - then you might have a challenge to find one that plugs right in.. (which is probably why they want $100 for a replacement version).

If I get a minute I'll go out and look at mine in the trunk and see how that controller is configured into the amp.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Nothing is cut off anywhere. The subwoofer looks just like off the link i supplied. It's just missing the cables.
subwoofer installation-photo.jpg
Thats the picture of how the subwoofer looks. the first input is for the remote, the second input are the rca, the third is the speaker/power input and the last one is the subwoofer output which is connected to the subwoofer inside the case.

I am now debating if I should dish out $400 to get a in-dash navi dvd touch screen. debating which brand to go with, pioneer, clarion or kenwood.

One of my friends does this stuff for a living so I know he will know exactly what I need to order but I was just curious myself.

If I do end up buying a in-dash, than I wouldn't even need to buy a RCA converter correct?

I need to get into contact with my buddy and see what he advises.

Hell I don't even know what I'm doing anymore lol. The good news is that once I do figure out what I'm going to do, I followed tutorials online and off this forum on how to remove the whole factory console, so it makes it a bit easier. The hard part is what the hell all the wires are for now and what splicing means and so on and so on. I think I should let my friend do it for me while I watch over his shoulder. Would be neat.

Last edited by JagXType620; 03-24-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know for sure but I doubt he's installed in a jag before. To do the radio he'll either have to splice (which if he's a good friend this wont be a bad thing, unless he doesn't care but hopefully he would) or the other option is spending around $100 and ordering a wiring harness and radio harness from nexxia.co/uk.

For a dash kit all you need is 99-9500 from metra parts. If your dash is black you'll have to paint it black. If you have a 2004-newer the dash kit should match. This is what it looks like on my 2002. You can also get a dash kit from nexxia but I'd just do the metra kit and if it doesn't match paint it or cover in leather or something.

If you put in a head unit you have no need for a rca converter. The head unit will have a sub out and other rca outs for a 4 channel amp in the future.

If you get a head unit here's what your going to need:
-head unit
-dash kit (metra 99-9500)
-wiring harness
-antenna adapter

To connect aftermarket head unit this is what is needed to connect to an amp in the trunk:
-rca's
-blue remote wire (this turns the amp on and off when the key is in the on/off position)
*****Both the rca out on the head unit and the remote wire are on the back of the radio. The rca's and remote wire are supplied if you buy an amp power kit to power the kenwood unit you have.

To connect the current kenwood unit to aftermarket head unit:
-rca's from the radio
-blue remote wire
-power wire to battery
-negative grounded to metal in the trunk

To get the kenwood to work (if it works):
-wiring harness thing you originally posted

If you buy an aftermarket radio you will not need the bass adjustment knob that you are looking at. Inside the aftermarket radio you will have adjustments for the sub level out (rca out for the subwoofer on the back of the radio.) The quality of sound in comparison to the aftermarket radio and the factory radio will be drastically different (for the good.)

Last edited by aquill1; 03-24-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Even though mine has the subwoofer volume level, it's buried in menus on the faceplate...so I like the little RCA controller, quick access... so depending on his new deck, he may still want it. True though, it isn't necessarily needed anymore if you get a new deck.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

The setup he has (kenwood sub/amp/box built into one) normally comes with a remote but the remote is like $100+ so it's not worth it. I guess he could always get an eq which would have the adjustment for the bass. In his case I'd rather use the head unit if I had to, but using the amps remote if the amp had one would be the ideal situation.

I can't remember but I assume you have a kenwood! LOL I've never seen a kenwood head unit not hide every single adjustment! You have to work magic on most kenwoods to know how to use them. I play games with my dad with his kenwood, he has no idea how to adjust anything except the volume and station! LOL

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM

I have factory radio, I don't have a Kenwood headunit, only a Kenwood subwoofer.

Anybody have suggestions about in-dash DVD NAVI?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Great job of explaining the options Aquill1.

JagXType620, I think you are at the point with the sub where you either roll up your sleeves and dive in and maybe learn as you go, or have your buddy give you a hand. Once you figure out the fundementals, you'll have no problem getting it done. It can be done without much trouble with the factory radio. It will sound better with an aftermarket unit, but not a requirement.

Quick Reply: subwoofer installation