X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lcgi
Nope, theres no need to drain the engine block.... because the front end is raised. You may get perhaps a cup full of Coolant - after you break the T/Stat housing from the Block. (an old towel will handle that OK)

From memory I think I used a standard 10mm (ring one end/open spanner)
which is only about 4 inches long. No room for anything longer.

Project completed. I figured out the easiest way to remove the upper nut was to use a ratchet with deep socket (13mm) from the battery side and around the vertical pipe and the nut came out easily:

After I loosened about 1 turn, I was able to take the nut out with my fingers. For the bottom I use a long ratchet and after I loosened it a couple of turns the rest of the way was done with my fingers. Maybe the next person that does this repair will save time using this approach.

Assembling was little more complicated since the bottom hose that attaches to the solenoid got in the way. I ended up attaching the rubber connector/union to the solenoid assembly and sliding the entire assembly in and then connecting the rubber connector union to the aluminum pipe at the bottom. tightening the nuts was done the same way as removing them and it was a piece of cake.

Coolant refilled and everything seems tight and no apparent leaks are present; I ran out of daylight so I will have to check again in the morning. The car seems to run smoother than I remember and it could be the new O2 sensor or just wishful thinking.

Thanks for all the advise, it certainly made the job easier.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-23-2014)