X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are they really that terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are they really that terrible?

I've wanted a x-type for over 4 years and i decided im finally going to bite the bullet later this summer and get one. I know they have generally crappy transfer cases and the transmissions are probably worse then par when it comes to reliability, but all the articles i read completely bash the x type. It's on quite a few "worst cars of all time" lists. I would be buying a 02 or 03, so i'm planning on being as careful as possible to make sure i dont get a dud. what i want to know is, is it fairly probable that if i do some decent screening and it has a clean carfax/all the neccessary maintence done, it could be a fairly reliable ride for a few years. I'm a college student, and i live within walking distance to campus, so it'll mainly be used for leisurely purposes and running errands.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Alright, im kinda in the same situation, im a high school student, and chose to save 5 years to buy my x type, its was worth it, every fricking penny, if u buy from a dealer, they sometimes have like a 30 day warranty ( mine did), make sure its inspected by a acutaul mechanic, no just some idiot honda mechanic no offence. My probelm happened was after 2 weeks of having it, the car would jerk, when acceralting, so took to the dealer ship, and they ( it was a honda dealership) got it all fixed, need a brand new few system, a complete tune up. And this is after they said everything was inspected and good. I didn't pay a cent. Ever since then its been reliable 9 it got me through cold alberta temperatures, never stuck, never crashed, and and never failed. The prolem i think is that, they think all jag suck becuase of one issue, no they don't look at any other car the caddilacs are ****, my dad owned one and it was a scrap car after 2 years, if u take care of it it will take care of you. Plus, you look good in it, and its easy to get the ladies , added bonous.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

And i read all those dumb reviews, on how crappy it was, its not get in one ( like i did), it was just sanding there and i took it for a test drive, instantly fell in love with it. and u will notice the diferrence, try to go fr a 2004, they seem to have all the kinks worked out.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

How much do you want to spend?

Don't listen to all the people that bash the car, IMO the reason they bash it as much as they do is because selling of the car didn't work out that well. IMO it is a great car and especially if you are in an area that gets hit with winter weather. If you want to be protected you should find one with a warranty or save the money you would have spent on a warranty and put it towards future repairs.

Every car in the world has problems and Jag has been near the top/on top of initial quality testing for the last few years for nothing, and I believe the x-type didn't hurt it.

They look great, drive great and are perceived highly by everyone else (people staring at the car.)

You wont regret the car if you know that not all things are perfect and some problems may occur.

If I were you I'd look for a sport model if you can find one, you wont regret it and may regret not having one later. If you do bite the bullet and get one that isn't a sport model you will regret it.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree totally with the two guys. I too was a little put off by all the negative feedback the car was getting. Once I took her for a test drive all the negativity went away. It's just a fun car to drive. It's not the fastest but it's just too damn pretty to pass up for the price. But it's fast enough and AWD is a big plus. Like Disco said the ladies really dig this car. Just ask my wife and her girlfriends. I also agree with Aquill, if you're going to get one get the sport. Maybe a set of mesh grills and clear side blinkers and you're good to go. I said it once in another post and I'll say it again "I love this car". One of the funnest cars I have ever driven in my life. To me it's one of those best bang for the buck kind of things. Ask yourself this. Would you rather spend a whole lot more for a lower C class Benz or 3 series BMW? Those are the 2 direct competitors for the X-Type. My answer is hell no....

Last edited by FearTheLeaper; 05-19-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That just got me thinking. Is it me or does the 3 series BMW kind of look like an old Toyota Tercel? That is one fugly car that 3 series.

Get the X you won't regret it. Plus you got these nice chaps on this forum to help you out if any problems come up.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FearTheLeaper
That just got me thinking. Is it me or does the 3 series BMW kind of look like an old Toyota Tercel? That is one fugly car that 3 series.
I beg to differ. ;-)

The current E90 3-series looks a lot more agressive than the x-type. But the x-type has softer, flowing curves so its a gorgeous understated looker for sure. Depends if you want Sexy or Aggressive? Take your pic. But the 3-series does drive a lot better. I have one too.

Now when we were shopping for the x-type back in fall of 02, the jag looked a lot better than the E46 they were selling then. And if you look at those 2 cars now, the jag's design is still modern while the E46 looks dated. So I made the right choice.

Yes and the x-type is a brilliant car. It does have some issues, but for the most part, if you end up with a good one, it should never leave you stranded. The issues that arise tend to be minor things like dash vents rattling or cd player skipping or door sticking, etc. I always love driving it. It sounds so nice when you are driving hard to redline. The engine sound is louder than most cars, but I love that. Almost sounds like its supercharged with a light whistle in the background.

I also recommend the Sport Package. I don't have it on my car and I do miss it.

Just be sure to do your research (look up transfer case and propshaft issues) and then go for it. You will not be disappointed!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

I think a lot of the negative reviews have to do with the fact that the X-Type is not worth it when bought new. In other words, it's overpriced because it's a Jag. If you're going to spend that much money, then it's a better investment to buy a BMW 3 Series or C-Class Mercedes. But once depreciation kicks in, the X-Type becomes a very attractive choice.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has never stopped breaking.... better have serious money available for repairs. If my car had to go to the dealer it would be more money a month than a new car...

Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Thank you for restoring my confidence (most of you at least). I think people often don't look at the bigger picture too....look at how terribly unreliable a Chrysler (of which my family has had 2) and any other American car for that matter. I love the way they look....and I don't really have to have a car so I think ill just try to get a solid one from the start and hope for the best.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that no car is perfect. Everyone here is just trying to make sure your not one of the people that come on here a week after buying one screaming about how you got screwed and the car is a pile of junk. You are getting into a jaguar and it's not a ford or dodge or kia, the thing will cost money to fix if something goes wrong. Find a local shop/mechanic that works on european cars. IMO the cost of a lot of parts really aren't that bad. Obviously a tranny for a ford is going to cost less than a x-type, Ford implements the same powertrain in multiple platforms.

If you know full well now that there could be problems you have nothing to worry about. Just shop carefully and don't just jump in, find the best possible deal. Some like to talk worst case scenario, for my 2002 the only stuff i had to replace in the 20k+miles I drove mine was a battery and rubber hose.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 PM

Haha no I'm not one of those guys...I've been reading this forum for awhile now...just haven't really posted anything. I agree on most parts not being that crazy...the ones that I've looked up aren't crazy...we'll see. Ill probably be getting mine towards the end of the summer...and I can't wait. I would prefer a black or silver one with black leather...and the sport package would be great

Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM

The good news for you is that the X-Type hasn't changed much since it has been introduced, and so the typical problems have already been identified. Browse the forum here and make a list.

Then before you buy your X-Type, have it inspected by a competent Jaguar mechanic, and have him doublecheck the weak spots.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

my 2 cents. Stay away from the 02 if possible and seek out the 03 or better yet the 04. The cost should not vary much depending on where you are located and the availability. I purchased an 04 S-type cheaper than my 02 X-type by a 1k an some change. The 02 line had some production issues and some parts issues as well as some fit issues. By the time the line was doing the 04 just about all issues had been resolved.

It does take TLC for the car. As-in regular maintaince. It will take hard driving but you will need to use the hard miles maintaince schedule.

They are a superior drive.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfenley
my 2 cents. Stay away from the 02 if possible and seek out the 03 or better yet the 04. The cost should not vary much depending on where you are located and the availability. I purchased an 04 S-type cheaper than my 02 X-type by a 1k an some change. The 02 line had some production issues and some parts issues as well as some fit issues. By the time the line was doing the 04 just about all issues had been resolved.
Since I've been on this site there have been people that say this. I assume you meant x-type and not s-type?

From what I've noticed is that the 02 price vs. 04 price do vary. Obviously if you have an 04 with 80k miles a 2002 with 40k miles are probably going to be similar in price but I'd personally rather have low mileage. Check the car out, have a mechanic check it out and check carfax. I see more $8k 2002's than I do 2004's for $10k. That $2 grand could be spent elsewhere.

Of all the information make sure you GET A SPORT MODEL!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by aquill1
Keep in mind that no car is perfect. Everyone here is just trying to make sure your not one of the people that come on here a week after buying one screaming about how you got screwed and the car is a pile of junk. You are getting into a jaguar and it's not a ford or dodge or kia, the thing will cost money to fix if something goes wrong. Find a local shop/mechanic that works on european cars. IMO the cost of a lot of parts really aren't that bad. Obviously a tranny for a ford is going to cost less than a x-type, Ford implements the same powertrain in multiple platforms.

If you know full well now that there could be problems you have nothing to worry about. Just shop carefully and don't just jump in, find the best possible deal. Some like to talk worst case scenario, for my 2002 the only stuff i had to replace in the 20k+miles I drove mine was a battery and rubber hose.
Just keep in mind that the X is a Ford. At least a Ford in Jag clothes. It is a Mondeo that has been massaged to be a Jag. That's why it didn't fair very well in the press. I jumped in here just to see what other people were saying. I personally drove a X wagon when I was shopping for my car. I didn't like it personally. But that had nothing to do with the quality of the car. My Jag dealer had about 10 X-Types as loaners, all were runners, and the dealer liked them because they held up to people bashing the snot out of 'em. I personally think the Ford involvement helped Jag bring it's quality up. Hey I love the heck out of my fancy Lincoln LS ( that is what the S Type is). Back to why I think I didn't like the X. It does have a transverse mounted engine and a transaxle. So, it just felt too much like a front driver to me, and I was so done with front drive cars. I wanted rear wheel drive. So, if the car checks out, and you really like the way it drives, go for it. Oh and BTW: I agree: find a sport model!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Totally agree, there will bve issues, but i said this on another post, when ur done the test drive and everything, just sit, withthe engine off and gleam in the cars beuty then u will realiz why we drive these "pieces of crap' becuase nobody else can understand. Until u get in one.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One year with my 04. One VERY good year. I would not trade one day of it.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Skynyrd

I'm lucky enough to have an '02 Sport that had the autobox replaced in '04 under the customer campaign (read "non-recall") that has had very few problems past the vacuum leaks. Those were easy fixes. Prop shaft was the most expensive thing I've had to do. It's been properly maintained, the secret to any car's longevity. Having said that, it's now seven years old. I expected and planned for repair expenses based upon what I researched before I got it. It's my Jag. Not everyone on my street has one. Everyone still comments on what a beauty she is. I know upkeep will continue to cost me money. What 7 year old car won't?

Try and find as new as you can for the money you can spend and then plan on spending money on proper upkeep. DO NOT buy it without a proper inspection. Trouble is it's harder to find an '05 Sport than an '02. At the very least, get the 3.0

PS Mine's platinum on warm charcoal with the grey maple wood and NO you can't buy it! Go find your own and enjoy!!! Life's too short to drive a Honda like everyone else.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Just keep in mind that the X is a Ford. At least a Ford in Jag clothes.
Some parts are marked ford but the tranny isn't anything that ford uses.

My 02 felt like rear wheel drive. Forget what it was they changed, viscous? Even the 07 I used as rental felt rear wheel drive ( in snow or in rain driving like a retard, with dsc turned off.)

Quick Reply: are they really that terrible?