Sponsored by:

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throttle response

Hello all

As you all know I have got a X type 2.0 D 55

My dad has got the same jag as me but it is 2 years older , he asked me to take his car for a spin to go to the weekly shop , this is the First time I have drove his jag and I noticed that his Throttle Response on pull away was far better then mine, its instant , where my X type has a Slight Delay until the Revs start going up ,

Anyone got any ideas on this , Could the Throttle body need Cleaning or is this something Else ?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Sean, I would start with ensuring you have a clean air filter in the car. That can make the biggest difference for what you are seeing. After than, a cleaning of the MAF sensor may help too. But then, it may be a characteristic of how the car is programmed between the years. The one last bit that can lead to slow throttle response is the position of the throttle position sensor. The car needs a finite voltage from it before the computer thinks that the throttle is being used. For most cars, this voltage is around 1.00 VDC. From the factory, a closed throttle body sends out about 0.95 VDC. So, you are right on the edge and the computer wants the throttlebody completely closed. You can loosen the bolts on the throttle position sensor and rotate it slightly to make this "full shut voltage" at say 0.99. That way, the throttle body has to move even less before the computer starts thinking the driver wants it to start applying power. In your case, this voltage may have dropped to say 0.90 or something even lower. This means the throttle body has to open even more than normal before power is generated.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Thermo , Thank your for your quick response

yes I have to Agree on part where you say it could be the 2 years differents
with the engine programming as I just gave my Brother a Call who has a 2004 x type, and he says its the same as mine, with slight delay on the rev, i have just checked the Air filter and it all seems Clean,

I am going to put the car in for a full service within the next month so we will see what problems she will have if any ,

Thanks again Thermo

Sean