X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too cool too cool...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question too cool too cool...

So awhile bak I enquired about what coolant to use for my o4 xtype as i noticed the resivior was low...I did however add a diff colour,,as i reading post i notice this is not recomendid,,Ive got three questions..first
1) Which is the correct coolant to use..I just used that presstone pre mixed ,add to any colour stuff..can i really add it to any colour?
2) how do i drain and fill the coolant,is there a bolt on bottom of rad?
3) how much fluid to i add back?...
these might be pretty basic t some,but i could use the help..

Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Irish, if you used the "add to any color coolant", then you are probably fine. What you want to look for is if there is any sludge that has started to form. When you mix incompatable coolants, they tend to sludge up and form a nice goopy mess.

As for what coolant is the correct coolant, as long as you stick with a given color of coolant, you are fine. The big thing to keep in mind is that if you are changing from one color to another, make sure that the system has been drained very well and flushed a few times so the water coming out of the system is clear. From there, you can add whatever color coolant you want. All of the coolants I am aware of that are made these days can work in our engines.

As for where to drain the fluid out, if you look under the front bumper, you will see an access hole near the frame rail on the passenger side. If you stick your hand in there, you will feel a piece of plastic that is flat, pointing at the engine. This is the handle for the radiator drain valve. If you turn that valve a few times, it will open up and allow the coolant to drain out of the engine. WARNING!!! If you have recently run the engine, this water will be extremely hot and can cause burns. It is recommended to remove the plate off of the underside of the bumper to allow the coolant to drain straight down, vice being sent all over the place by the plate. After removing the plate, you can see the valve with no problems.

As for the amount of fluid to replace, an empty coolant system only requires 8 quarts of coolant. So, you can expect to get out about 7 quarts. I would also recommend getting a few gallons of either distilled water or demineralized water (yes, there is a difference). You can drain the coolant out, refill the system with the distilled/demineralized water, let the engine run for a few minutes, and then drain again. At this point, whatever is left over in the coolant system will be very diluted. So, adding your new coolant will be no problem. I would recommend adding the whole gallon of concentrated coolant (not the 50/50 mix stuff) and then topping off the system with the distilled/demineralized water. You won't need the whole gallon. This will put you at about a 60/40 mix of coolant/water. This will allow you to only have to add water later on should you develop a small leak. Makes those times of need a bit easier to deal with.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice that fixed me up...I try an give it a shot tamory..