X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Decision, keep or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Tough Decision, keep or replace?

The dreaded tinworm rears its ugly head again, this time on the passenger side.

My question is do I spring for fresh sheet metal for the rocker (now that they are once again available!), or just stop there and replace the car with a another X-type?

It has taken a lot of work and time to get mine where I want it, and I know which parts are new (lots of them, including the whole AC system!) and where the car stands.

Cost-wise, it is a toss up. After the metal, the bodywork, and the paint, I'd likely be right at about the same cost.

Decisions, decisions...

(no brainer on the driver side, had some "help" with that repair, so it has been done!)

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you've done a lots of work on the car to the way you wanted it, and just sheet metal (how bad?) and repaint, I say keep it, because if you replace it the you have to start all over again, it will take some more time and money to get where you want it to be.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

That is what I'm thinking. Plus, I'm really attached to the color (Adriatic Blue).

The right rocker, over six months time, has popped through from the A-pillar back to about six inches in front of the B pillar. After doing the left side, I can be pretty sure it is gone all the way back to the dog-leg at the rear door. The replacement panel takes care of the whole thing, and I can use fresh sheet metal for the a-pillar rather than buying a panel for that.

Terrible design, rots from the inside out, and a common issue.

Luckily, the "box" underneath is solid...the rocker metal is not actually structural. This side, there won't be any help from Jaguar on...hell, the car is 15 years old!

If I did replace it, little except for the shell would make it to the boneyard...everything else would be eiter swapped over, sold, or spares.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep it as you know all the work you have already done will not need to be looked at again for some time and the few remaining issues you have once fixed will hopefully ensure you have many years of trouble free jag driving