X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission Rebuild

The automatic transmission on my 2002 X-type is slipping, so I guess it will need to either be re-built or replaced. I was considering either having the trans re-built by a transmission shop, or replacing it myself with a re-manufactured unit. Then I saw an ad on eBay for a re-build kit for the JF506E transmission for under $400. Has anyone on the forum re-built their own transmission? I am a fairly competent Saturday mechanic: I have re-built one engine, replaced clutches and brakes, swapped another engine. I have never re-built a transmission though. Is it a reasonable thing to attempt? Are there any tricks to removal or installation? What about the re-build itself?

Thanks,
...John

Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i have read on here our cars have very complex trannys and its best to leave to someone with way more experience.
i have also read that you will need some special tools for the job.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, charm11, but I am really hoping to hear some specifics from someone who has actually done it. I would be happy to pay a transmission shop to fix it if I could be sure that the technician really knows what he is doing, but I don't know any way to find out if they really know about Jags. The nearest dealer is too far away, and besides, that particular dealer is really expensive - I have bought some parts there, and they charge about 50% more than other Jag dealers! So, my choices are: (1) take it to a transmission shop and hope for the best, (2) buy a remanufactured transmission and install it myself, or (3) buy a re-build kit and re-build it myself. The re-build kit would cost me $400, while having a transmission shop install a re-manufactured unit would cost $4000. This is something to think about. So, has anyone on the forum actually re-built one of these? Or at least removed and installed a re-manufactured one?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked at a Jaguar dealer and you will need a lift to remove the trans. it is alot of work. When they went out of warrente we would send them out to a trans rebuilder at it was about $3800.00. The trans from Jag is about $4000.00. I have ave my own shop now and I send cars to a trans shop to rebuild them they have all the tools the new trans are so complex now, it is like pulling a old watch appart small parts and springs can go every were and it may never be right. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The following users liked this post:
JaguarKnight (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks, dana0330. That helps. I am now thinking that I should not attempt it.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarKnight
Thanks, dana0330. That helps. I am now thinking that I should not attempt it.
One alternative is to ask your selected transmission shop if they will install the supplied kit and guarantee their work. If they say yes, that is a good indicator that they are confident they can do it properly. And you have the guarantee.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM

I just asked the service manager of the local Jaguar dealer what it would cost to replace the trans. He said it would cost $6500! I paid $7300 for the car last year! Aarrgghh!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ouch. as most longtime x-type owners on the forum say at that point... run it into the ground until it dies.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly off topic, but do you mind if I ask how you know you are having Tranny issues?

Are you hearing something? Feeling something? Im just trying to determine if I hear/feel something similar to what you are experiencing.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Repair

I understand your concern with having some local shop rebuild your tans. I made that mistake and it cost me several thousand dollars for nothing. They tried to fix it again 3 days later and still failed, then went out of business. Then I took it to aamco transmission and they did a full rebuild on my 1985 jaguar XJ6 for right at 2,000 dollars. They also offered a lifetime warranty for an additional 430 dollars. AAMCO is a nationwide chain so perhaps you should check your area for one of their shops. They got it right the first time and that was about 4 years ago and no problems since. It's just something to consider. I hope this helps.

David

The following users liked this post:
JaguarKnight (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Madtiger2007 - thanks for the info. I have not talked to AAMCO, but perhaps I should. I have been talking to the manager of the nearest Mr. Transmission, also a national chain, and they claim that they can do the total rebuild in-house, as well as deal with TCM isssues. But I forgot to ask what kind of warranty they provide, so maybe AAMCO might be better in that area. I had a transmission rebuild by AAMCO on a Chevy van years ago, and got the lifetime warranty, and it never had a problem again.

Mayor111 - I bought the car last August with only 30000 miles on it. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed that it had a hesitation when accelerating from a stop. I changed the transmission fluid, and found that the fluid was dark and there were two extra quarts in the transmission. After changing the fluid, it began shifting much better, and the hesitation on accelerating from a stop was gone. I drove it for about 5000 miles, and then noticed a slight shudder on acceleration between 40-50 mph. It did not have the shudder once I stopped acceleration, nor if I accelerated very slowly. I started worrying that the transmission might be slipping, so I got it up to between 40-50 mph, and attempted to accelerate aggressively. That caused the RPM to increase rapidly by about 2000 RPM with very little increase in speed. That told me that the transmission was slipping. My guess is that the 4th gear clutch is worn out, but in any case, it needs to be fixed.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are sure welcome for the information. Just remember, it does not matter what they say they can do. The only thing that matters is what they are willing to put on paper and stand behind.

Good Day

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

AAMCO is a bit more expensive now, at least for the X-Type. The local AAMCO said they did one recently, and they could not get all the parts to rebuild in-house, so they installed a rebuilt. That job cost $4,200. If I want a lifetime warranty, it will cost an extra $1,200. For comparison, the local Jag dealer wants $6,500 to put a rebuilt in it. Another Jag dealer that is a 3 hour drive from here wants $4,650 for the same job. Mr. Transmission said that they could do the job, and that they would rebuild in-house, but they can't/won't give me any idea what it would cost until they take it apart.

I am currently thinking of taking it to AAMCO. Their price, though high, seems sort of reasonable compared to others, and I really like the idea of a lifetime warranty. The car only has 35,000 miles, so the engine should still be good for many more miles. So the only other big piece I should have to worry about would be the transfer case, and that is not as expensive as the transmission.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by queensnewbie
ouch. as most longtime x-type owners on the forum say at that point... run it into the ground until it dies.
Thanks for your opinion, but in my opinion that would not be a good plan. Once a transmission starts slipping, it is usually not long before it stops moving the car, at which point you are likely to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. The only reasonable choices are either to junk it now or fix it. I am planning to fix it, because then I will have a low-mileage car with a good transmission for the price of fixing the transmission.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually if the trans starts to slipp it will set a gear incorrect gear ratio codes and it usually will still move. You could also go with a used one most Xtypes allready have rebuilt trans in them they all have tags on the top that say they were rebuilt by Jaguar. I use a trans rebuilder that does them for $3500.00 with a one year warrntee. If a rebuilt trans is going to go it would be before a year, and Ammco charges alot up front in hopes it never goes and if it does the car will be on it's next owner and no longer covered.

Dana

Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I know this sounds as bad as feeding gin to a baby, but has anyone tried a little "better living through chemistry"?

Has anyone tried pouring in a can of "Instant Tranny Rebuild" into a failing X Type transmission?

For the twenty bucks or so a can of this "fix-all" costs at the local WalMart, does it save the day, or even a month?

My '02 X-Type tranny had been rebuilt twice before we purchased the car (at 52,000 miles). It didn't actually fail on us, but started sounding like a kitchen blender with Jello in it. The fellow that I took it to insisted the case had porosity (internal leakage) that was beyond repair and rebuilt a used one he found.

I trusted his surmise, as he was the one who had rebuilt the tranny immediately before we purchased the car. He claimed he was wary of it even then, but had contracted out to the (non-jag) dealer at such a low price he could provide no warranty.

Total cost out the door about $7,500 USD, and that included a 5 year warranty. With the contribution from the aftermarket warranty we purchased, out-of-pocket was about 3 grand.

It was worth every cent.

I just love this car, hidden warts and all!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarKnight
Thanks for your opinion, but in my opinion that would not be a good plan. Once a transmission starts slipping, it is usually not long before it stops moving the car, at which point you are likely to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. The only reasonable choices are either to junk it now or fix it. I am planning to fix it, because then I will have a low-mileage car with a good transmission for the price of fixing the transmission.
Hey JK

What would happen if you got one of those aftermarket warranties that are advertised every day? I looked and it's like 2K for a year.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Someone else also suggested buying a used car warranty. I don't know much about them, but am looking into it. However, the AAMCO lifetime warranty is still looking good, considering how often the transmissions fail prematurely on the X-Types.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM

I took it to AAMCO yesterday (Saturday). They said they will call me on Monday to tell me what their tech found out.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
I know this sounds as bad as feeding gin to a baby, but has anyone tried a little "better living through chemistry"?

Has anyone tried pouring in a can of "Instant Tranny Rebuild" into a failing X Type transmission?

For the twenty bucks or so a can of this "fix-all" costs at the local WalMart, does it save the day, or even a month?
Never ever ever ever would I use any of that repair in a can. I once used the bars leak rad crap for a tiny rad leak. Used it exactly as it said on the can. Seized the motor faster than you can spell expensive.

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild