X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk/Boot Would Not Open - Jaguar X-Type 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trunk/Boot Would Not Open - Jaguar X-Type 2002

Please help. I'm at my wit's end. I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type and for the first time since I've had it, the trunk/boot would not open when I unlock it using my key fob. I'm able to unlock the other doors and drive the car normally; new car battery was installed in August 2018. When I try to unlock the trunk/boot, I can hear the clicking sound and the light for the plates would come on, but it would not open.

Is this something that would correct itself? Is the system confused? Help!

Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Sounds like the ground wire that runs from the trunk lid to the bodywork, via a flexible tube near the trunk hinge has flexed too many times and is now broken. It's shared between license plate lights and the trunk lock motor. so the motor is now trying to ground through the lights.

One solution to opening the trunk is to go to the General Electronic Module (GEM) that in US X Types is (I think) on the front wall of the passenger footwell. It has a row of 5 connectors, all different colours. You want the righthand one that is a 23 way, Brown connector. Then on Pin 16 (that's the third Pin in from the connector's leftthand end on the bottom row) there should be a Blue wire. If you have the right wire it has no wire in the slot on either side of it.

Push a sewing needle through that wire, then briefly connect the needle to a good ground with a length of wire. At that point the trunk should unlock.

Then set to checking the wires that run from the trunk lid to the body. Ground wires are Black.

Last edited by astromorg; 03-13-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
Sounds like the ground wire that runs from the trunk lid to the bodywork, via a flexible tube near the trunk hinge has flexed too many times and is now broken. It's shared between license plate lights and the trunk lock motor. so the motor is now trying to ground through the lights.

One solution to opening the trunk is to go to the General Electronic Module (GEM) that in US X Types is (I think) on the front wall of the passenger footwell. It has a row of 5 connectors, all different colours. You want the righthand one that is a 23 way, Brown connector. Then on Pin 16 (that's the third Pin in from the connector's leftthand end on the bottom row) there should be a Blue wire. If you have the right wire it has no wire in the slot on either side of it.

Push a sewing needle through that wire, then briefly connect the needle to a good ground with a length of wire. At that point the trunk should unlock.

Then set to checking the wires that run from the trunk lid to the body. Ground wires are Black.
Hello. Thanks for your suggestion. I was in another forum and someone suggested this: "I removed the bulbs and connected the earth to the screw securing the number plate and pressing the release button to my joy the boot released and I had access." The problem is I don't know how to "connect the earth".

Old 03-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

That is another way of providing a temporary ground. Both methods have been successfully used by members.

The GEM is near a number of bare metal places that will do for the ground. Just hold the ends of the wire on the needle and on, say the inside of the cigar lighter socket. If it's going to work. it will be virtually instantaneous - no need for some permanent attachment of the wire to ground.

The following users liked this post:
cheebong (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 PM

That is another way of providing a temporary ground. Both methods have been successfully used by members.

The GEM is near a number of bare metal places that will do for the ground. Just hold the ends of the wire on the needle and on, say the inside of the cigar lighter socket. If it's going to work. it will be virtually instantaneous - no need for some permanent attachment of the wire to ground.
I’m a newbie at this. Could you please give me step-by-step instructions in layman’s terms? Which of the two methods is easier for a beginner in things electrical? What tools, wires would I need?

Also, would disconnecting the car battery help to reset the system?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by cheebong; 03-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

........... go to the General Electronic Module (GEM) that in US X Types is (I think) on the front wall of the passenger footwell. It has a row of 5 electrical connectors, all different colours. You want the righthand one that is a 23 way, Brown connector. Then on Pin 16 (that's the third Pin in from the connector's leftthand end on the bottom row) there should be a Blue wire. If you have the right wire it has no wire in the slot on either side of it.

Push a sewing needle through that wire, then briefly connect the needle to a good ground with a length of wire. At that point the trunk should unlock.......
Tools - one sewing needle. One length of any sort of wire, four or five feet long.

How can I make it simpler than this? It really isn't rocket science, just go out and do it and when it works you'll get a good feeling of successful self-help

Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Smile

Cheers, mate! It worked just as you described. We were able to pop the trunk with your method. After doing so, we fixed the broken ground wire inside the flexible tube. The trunk is working beautifully!