X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk will not open/removing backseat 04 x-type

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If i remember correctly, you need to open the trunk to get the the latch....lol, too funny.

Check all your fuses?

Might just try prying the seat down till the plastic latch gives.....

Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx82
If i remember correctly, you need to open the trunk to get the the latch....lol, too funny.

Check all your fuses?

Might just try prying the seat down till the plastic latch gives.....
It's a metal latch, btw.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its worth a shot. You might be able to get enough play with the screws removed that you could reach the latch, or better yet, grab your stuff.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Remove the rear seat cushion from the vehicle. See if you can twist the seat out just enough to reach in there. Get a yard stick or something, maybe you can catch the release inside.

In mine (2003) you have to release the seat from inside the trunk. But once it opens it can come out of the car completely.

Does the remote make a difference? But I would imagine the entire mechanism is busted and that's why you are in this situation.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 PM

Those are the screws that have to come out.

I just ran out to the garage and popped my seat cusion off. Sure enough those are the hex screws that hold the seat hindge onto the car. I would work on the drivers side cushion (larger) - but becareful not to break anything while lifting the seat. You may want to lay down there, cover it with a blanket or something and make sure not to damage any wiring harnesses over there. Then slip your arm in and see if you can reach the release lever for the fold down seat.

Getting those screws out requires some elbow grease. Get your rachet out and an extention or two and just crank away. They will come out...

Old 07-27-2009, 02:32 AM

Quick question anyone, how can i pop the trunk open from the inside of my 03 Xtype? I cant find the button to press

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 AM

Quick question anyone, how can i pop the trunk open from the inside of my 03 Xtype?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I locked my keys in the boot on my X type when the car was locked and boot was opened using the fob and then accidentally closed with keys in the boot.
You can pop the doors open using a wire between the (RH door UK not sure in US) drivers door and wing.The alarm will sound when you open any door.Then lift the rear seat base cushion sharply up and remove it.This will reveal 2 Torx bolts on the (fixed) backrest.Remove the bolts and the backrest lifts out giving access to the boot.

To pop the boot from inside the car check this thread
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtop...release#p82720

Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a KEY HOLE to acces the trunk on a 2002 X-type

My trunk will not open from the key remote nor will the toggle switch work that is located on the rear of the trunk.

QUESTION: IS THERE A KEY HOLE ON THE REAR OF THE TRUNK?

I have read on line questions/anwsers and have been told that a key hole is located between the rear license plate and looks like a "hex" shape. You need to look carefully because it is hidden.

#1. I have removed the license plate. Nothing there other than the two holes for the license plate.
#2. I have been told the "hex" shape is above and between the license plate or it is between the lettering on the rear of the trunk (my model doesn't have anything located anywhere that looks like a "hex" shape. Nothing.
#3. The toggle switch (the switch that manually opens the trunk DOESN"T WORK)
#4. The plastic glow in the dark, emergency handle fell off about 2.5 weeks ago, so even if I could access the trunk from the inside, it won't open.

I have read all of the questions/answers but I have not seen any responses as to how anyone eventually got the trunk open?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Pam

Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pam,

Does your car have the fold down rear seats option?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2004 K KR fob works but thew button doesn't work. I can open the trunk. How does the button get accessed to replace?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Your car is an XK8 - there is an entirely different list for that car (identified by the factory code X100). You'll get a better answer there but in any case your question is unclear: is it the trunk button on the fob that does not work? Or bathe release button on the trunk lid? If it is the latter, you can open the trunk with your key. The key hole is found in the XK badge, I believe.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Fold down rear seat center armrest, cut the hole on that back panel, use a long stick or broom handle to push the rear seat fold down release to fold down the back seat, then you can access the trunk release, or I read other thread on this subject some one drill two inches hole behind the license place (I forgot which side) and push the latch with your finger.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured out how to access the trunk kid button. You have to remove all the fir tree buttons that hold the lid liner in place. You also need a torex drive to remove the handle strap that closes the lid. Then you will see 4 small bolts that hold in the outside piece that the button is in. Then you unscrew two very small phillips head screws to remove the button assembly. Unplug it and reverse the process. I did all this mad my button still doesn't work so I need to find the fuses to see if one is blown. Since the solenoid works from the dash and fob, I assumed the button was bad.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Trunk will not open/removing backseat 04 x-type