X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'tweet' from engine compartment when setting off ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'tweet' from engine compartment when setting off ...

Recently acquired a 2005 X-Type LS with the 2.0l diesel engine.

The test drive showed no anomalies, but once back home, after a hundred miles or so fast drive back on the motorway, I now notice a short but loud tweeting sound from the engine compartment when I either pull away from standing in first gear OR switch the engine off.... It lasts for only a second or so, and isn't heard at all during normal motion. It also only occurs once the engine is warm - from a cold start I hear nothing.

The seller did mention he'd changed the auxiliary drive belt recently. Could it be that it's stretched slightly during use and now needs re-tightening? What other issues could generate these symptoms? TIA.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

There isn't any real adjustment for the accessory drive belt or the water pump drive belt. Each has a tensioner that provides a pre-engineered amount of tension against the belt.
If it always chirps at shut down you can easily remove the water pump belt and start up and shut down a few times to determine if it is the accessory drive belt or the water pump belt making your chirp.
Then you can try a new belt or possibly have to replace the tensioner.

The following users liked this post:
twocups (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @avern1.... I had the car in a local garage today. They confirmed the auxiliary belt was new .... but couldn't (or wouldn't) pinpoint any further :-(

As it happens, I do hear the tweet at shutdown also (forgot to mention that) - so the water pump belt or the aux drive and water pump belt tensioners are the next ports of call then ...?

Old 04-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Try removing the water pump belt (it's the easiest) and then start up and **** down a few times. If the chirp is still there it's the main belt. If it goes away put the water pump belt back on and if it returns then you know which one is the problem.

The following users liked this post:
twocups (05-03-2017)